Can I downgrade Windows 7 Ultimate back to Windows Vista Basic?

aleeyu August 11, 2012

I changed my Windows version from Vista Basic to Windows 7 Ultimate. I want to know whether I can change it back to its previous Windows version? If so, how?

1. Adjei Kofi

You can but that will require you to do a fresh installation.

2. Amit Sinha

no but you can install vista through BIOS

3. Usman Mubashir

I think you better run win 7, but in any case, you must reinstall vista for this purpose.

4. Reý Aetar
  5. jrasulev

I have no idea, why do you need it, but you can dowgrade

6. Declan Lopez

you can reinstall from a vista disc

7. Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

that's easy, try to get a windows vista pack, then boot then install it on the same drive that has windows 7 on it. remember that this will format and wipe the data that you have on your drive ( that has windows 7 on it ) so I suggest to you to have a back up of all your data before you do this.

8. Adjei Kofi

That won't be possible. You'll have to perform a fresh installation with your windows vista cd.

9. aliyu

@elijah swartz!!! thank u so much 4 d reply. Fortunately as if by miracle, the facebook customer care team notified me some hours ago that they have resolved all my problems. I am know very satisfied. Finally, once again i will like to thank u all for your time, regards and concern. It was really a happy memorable day interacting with all of you. Thank you,Thank you, Thank you all . Wishing u all of you,, a wonderful day.

10. Erlis Dhima

Please read this posts:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-downgrade-from-windows-7-to-vista-step-by-step-guide/
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/downgrade-from-windows-7-to-vista/e95a2e68-34b1-487e-aa56-3dadfea59a8b

But there is a problem too.. If you have deleted the old windows files from system drive, the, I don't think you can turn it back.. Just check the posts above.. If it doesn't work for you, then the best way might be, formating it...
    Hope it helps...

11. Timothy Liem

yes you can, but you have to buy the license again. that's why Microsoft sucks!

12. Allen Barnett

echantrea suggested going back to XP rather than Vista.I respect echantrea's opinion and I agree 100% XP is so much better than Vista.That said keep in mind that after dometime in early 2014 you will not be able to get updates for XP. That would be very risky security wise.

13. Allen Barnett

Uhhhh... why would anybody want to do that?

14. echantrea

better go to XP OS than Vista.

15. echantrea

Format 7 OS and fresh install Vista Basic OS.

16. aliyu

Dear, friends Goodday!!! how are u all? i hope you are all fine. Firstly, i will like to thank you all for your responses and concerns regarding my question. I know it sounds odd but the main reason i want to downgrade my windows to vista basic is as a result of a problem i am facing regarding my facebook account. What happened was that i turn on the login approval in my privacy settings in my facebook account which means that it time i am using a new browser or i have changed my windows,,,i will have to login in to my account using a security code. The major problem here is that i added 2 mobile numbers in my facebook account,,,,,i have changed the first mobile number carrier which facebook have been trying to contact me with my security code and i have contacted facebook help care several times to try to explain to them that i dont longer use my first mobile number which they have been contacting me with and that they should use my second mobile number which i added in my facebook settings or they should send me my security code through my email address but they have not responded. This is the main reason why i want to return to windows vista basic inother to reclaim and access my facebook account.

• Elijah Swartz

Changing your operating system wouldn't change the issue you are having with facebook's security. Both Vista and Windows 7 can the same browsers. Changing the OS wouldn't change anything. I would suggest that you keep contacting facebook and be patient. Perhaps, you could ask to talk to a supervisor to escalate your problem so that they fix it faster.
      I am assuming that English isn't your native language based on your wording. Perhaps the facebook staff are a little confused by what your problem is because of the way you write. You might want to find someone who is a better at writing in English and ask them to help you write your message to Facebook, so they understand what the problem is. Best of luck.

17. Julie Kadas

A few questions:
    - Is your desire to downgrade due to streaming/xbox/ps3 issues?
    - Did you reformat your disk before you installed Win7?
    - Did you make a recovery disk prior to the upgrade?

I ask so that I can give you the best answer for your issue.

18. Elijah Swartz

I don't know why you would want to do this, unless you are going to use the Windows 7 key on a different computer.

Anyways, yes you can. If you upgraded Windows 7 from Vista or XP, you should have a Windows.old folder. The information straight from MS can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760/en-us

The other method, which is what I would personally do, would be to start with a fresh install. Back up all of your data, boot to the Vista dvd, format the drive, and install Vista as you normally would.

19. Francisco Fernández

That would be just as good as using internet explorer again! :P

20. Carter

Yes, curious you would want to do that. Vista is not the best OS. I would go back to XP before Vista. Is there a reason for this? Something we could help you out with?

21. Marc Vasquez

I'd imagine the use of the Vista re-installation disc would do the trick.

22. Ruben Fitch

Why would you ever want to do that?
    Vista is vastly inferior to Windows 7.

23. Vipul Jain

If you still have your Vista disc, just boot with it and delete/format the partition with Win7.
    And install vista there. Though keep in mind that all data in that drive will obviously be deleted (which includes your downloads, libraries, desktop, basically everything in your OS partition)

Going back at this point requires that you reformat the drive and do a fresh install of Vista Basic.