Can I downgrade Windows 7 64-bit to 32-bit to run my applications?

James July 24, 2011

I’ve purchased a new Dell Vostro laptop with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I’ve realized most of the applications I run do not have 64-bit drives, only 32bit. Can I downgrade my new PC to 32-bit?

1. Utahman1971

You can always go to manufactures website download the 64 bit driver for the laptop, or for any device. It is not hard to go to support on any website and find drivers. Windows 7 has been around for how long now? You are complaining about something not working when something is right under your nose on the manufactures website.

• Austin Fraley

Find me a 64 bit driver for a "Universal Remote" Controller - MSC400... And I'll be very appreciative 

2. Andker9798

Installing
    software on a Windows 64-bit computer:

1.    
    Insert CD into
    the computer

2.    
    Open “Computer”

3.    
    Right click on
    CD ROM drive where the program CD is located

4.    
    Select “open”

5.    
    Open “Install”
    folder

6.    
    Double click on
    “SETUP32.exe”

7.    
    Follow on screen
    instructions to install program

You're NOT DONE YET...most likely there will be
    another error message after the install because by default it tries to run the
    old file again to start the program. Be sure the complete the steps below to
    complete the installation.

Running the
    software:

1.    
    Insert CD into
    the computer

2.    
    Open “Computer”

3.    
    Right click on

4.    
    Select “open”

5.    
    Open “Install”
    folder

6.    
    Right click on
    “SETUP32.exe”

7.    
    Select “Send to”

8.    
    Select Desktop
    (create shortcut)

9.    
    Double click on
    “SETUP32.exe” on the desktop to run the program

Note: this only has to be done once. Every time you wish to run
    the program just double click on the “Setup32.exe” on the desktop. CD must be
    inside the computer’s CD ROM drive to run program.

Windows 7 includes WOW64 which is an emulator for 32 bit applications. 

4. V K Zadoo

It doesnt address my problem.My Canon 3200 LBP printer(32 bit) does not work with my new laptop having Win7 64 bit. Pl advise.

You can find the answer in my previous post: If you want or need to downgrade your 64bit Windows to a 32bit edition you will need to perform a re-installation.

Also consider the following:
      - you need an installation media capable of performing a 32bit installation
      - you need a valid licence (SB/OEM are 32bit OR 64bit, retail are valid for both)

In general I don't see any need to downgrade to 32bit unless you have some hardware driver issues e.g. they are not being compatible to 64bit.

Applications running in 32bit mode on a Windows 7 x64 will run as fast and offer the same performance as on a pure 32bit system. Contrary you will lose all benefits of 64bit enabled applications!

I guess the only way to "downgrade" for that matter would be a clean installation of Windows 7. You also have to keep in mind that a System Builder or OEM licence for for a 64bit Windows will not work for a 32bit installation!