Can I downgrade an HP dm1z from Windows 7 to XP x64?

eXPatriate August 11, 2011

Recently got an HP Pavilion dm1z laptop as a gift. It came factory installed with Windows 7 Pro x64, and being from the “Ultra Mobile” line, no disc drive. I really don’t like Windows 7 much, if at all, and am looking to downgrade the PC from Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows XP Pro x64 (to take advantage of the 64-bit memory capacity). If at all possible, I’d need to do this with a USB install (I’ve done this on other PCs before, but a quick browse of the HP forums says this model’s likely to be tricky).

Windows 7 is just too flashy and bloated for my tastes and I’d really love to have my old favorite OS back once again. (Heck, if I could, I’d install Win2K, but alas, no 64-bit support, at least not for AMD.)

HP is notorious for loading bloatware on its factory models, and IMHO Windows 7 is already a pork barrel OS to begin with. Call me nostalgic and out of touch, but I really do miss the happy medium of simplicity and flexibility that I found with XP. Unfortunately, neither M$ nor the laws of planned obsolescence see it that way…

Anyway, I really just want to ditch Windows 7 and put XP 64-bit on the laptop. Can someone point me in the right direction to a workable solution for what I need, if this is even possible?

System specs are below. Thanks in advance! :-)

HP Pavilion dm1z-2100 PC
Current OS: Win7 Pro x64
5GB RAM installed (8GB limit)
500GB HD
AMD Catalyst (?) Chipset
1366×768 display (13″)

1. hp coupon code

This is such a nice topic you have to share here. I use HP laptop and its very tricky when implementing a downgrade to xp 64.

2. eXPatriate

Thanks to all who replied. As I said, I've done downgrades before (previously from Vista to XP -- apologies to Depeche Mode, but "I just can't get enough"). The biggest problem, of course, is hardware compatibility and drivers. @facebook-100000334095711:disqus Have tried Ubuntu in the past, but Linux has too much of a learning curve (and is sometimes iffy when it comes to hardware). Those were for 32-bit Windows, though, and the 64-bit OS has been slightly more difficult to locate drivers for (with Linux too).

Updates don't really concern me as I am hardly ever online except to read articles or check my email. I'm not into the whole "latest and greatest" or "bleeding edge" concepts, and I don't use social networks or even have Flash or Java installed because I don't do YouTube or streaming media. I also have a netbook on which even XP runs slowly and tried to put Win2K on that, but to no avail (I actually tried disabling the SATA support on it and installing Windows 95, if that's any indication of my anachronistic habits -- but also to no avail). IMHO, memo to M$, Mozilla et. al., if it ain't broke, don't update it. :-)

@b051cfabbe8e6596c47455b265b23f36:disqus Glad you mentioned the HP guide. I'm a member of their forums too (user Lovekraft, as in "HP Lovekraft," what a clever Ctulhu), and have seen that page, as I wrote in the post. There's also one at MSFN geared towards XP 64-bit installs in general, but not necessarily about downgrading.

@timmyjohnboy:disqus I have already disabled the visual themes, the Desktop Window Manager, etc., but found that some programs actually do not display correctly when in Windows Classic scheme or throw an error. I tested an XP install in a VM sometime back and Explorer's top RAM (with Luna, at that), was 23MB. On the Windows 7 laptop with Desktop Manager disabled and no visual effects, it's 50 megs after 10 minutes and when it crashes, it balloons up to about 100MB and uses 100% CPU. A 2000 Explorer wasn't anywhere near either of those at any point from what I remember...

*sigh* If the install borks I may be looking into a Smith-Corona "offline" system with Mead for compatibility. ;-)

3. timmyjohnboy

To add my 2 cents, I agree Linux may be a good answer if you are looking for simplicity and flexibility (Ubuntu is a good one to start on). Once I got used to Ubuntu, I absolutely hate using Windows machines absolutely (redundancy intended for emphasis). It's free, you can get it onto a USB drive (like mentioned, you need to change boot priorities in BIOS to check thumb drives before the HDD), and it's stable as all get out.

Windows 2000? Really? If I had to choose, I'd go XP, except that, like mentioned, it won't be supported for long (no updates?). 

Here's another option (you may not like totally but may at least work good enough). Make Windows 7 look like XP or earlier. I'm not the proud owner of a Windows 7 computer but I HEAR it's fast (faster than XP?) so I'm not sure about the bloated comment. You can at least cut down on the flashiness and go back to a look and feel that you're used to. Here's a quite tut that may help: http://microsoft-support-squad.blogspot.com/2011/04/make-windows-7-look-like-xp.html

Here's another link with many usefule tips and apps that will bring back some of the XP in your Windows 7 machine: http://www.thejendra.com/ARTICLES/Windows7toXP.htm

Makeusof also has an Ultimate Windows 7 Guide that may have tips.

Hope that helps :)

Hello, like you said, it is very tricky when implementing a downgrade to xp 64.  The only thing you can do, is get an installation disk of xp 64 bits and do a clean install.  I wish you luck with finding the drivers though....I would advise you to try and find available drivers for xp 64 bits first,  If you are able to get them, then you can go to the next step and install xp 64.  The following link shows you a downgrading guide for hp notebooks:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/General-XP-Downgrade-Guide-for-HP-Laptops/td-p/83267

For the rest of the answer you can use any of the possibilities given to you by the previous commenter

If you're looking for simplicity and flexibility, you should try Linux! Windows XP will be dropped from Microsoft's support very soon. 

Do you have any other computers that have a CD/DVD drive? If so, you could copy the contents of the XP CD (presuming you have one) to a USB drive using WinToFlash and boot from that. You'll probably need to edit your boot priority so that your BIOS chooses the USB over your hard drive.

If you "find" an ISO of Windows XP x64 on the internet you could also burn it to a USB using UNetBootin.

Alternatively you could probably buy a USB from a reputable seller at Amazon with Windows XP installed on it. Though, you run the risk of the key not being genuine of course. 

There is a harder way of doing this, called a "network install" if you have a computer with a CD drive (and Windows XP x64) on your network.