Don’t you think the QXGA resolution on the iPad 4 and the WQXGA resolution on Nexus 10 an overkill?

Aditya Salve April 14, 2013

Ignorant as it might sound, as a pixel fanatic myself, I still think the above resolutions are an effete as most of the mainstream multimedia content available as of today is 1080p or 2K at max? So there’s no way you are gonna use the display at native resolution effectively ending up under-utilizing it?

Having a good resolution is not an overkill.

If you have a device which has good ppi,then web browsing,reading experience would be painless as your eyes would be able to see much more content without strain on such large devices.

Large ppi also helps in maps apps to facilitating viewing of roads and other views.

2. justinpot

These specs will keep going up – it's the nature of Moore's law combined with competition. Everyone wants the "best" product out there.

Having said that, my tablet's resolution is higher than my TV. It's probably overkill, but it's also occasionally quite beautiful. Get a cheaper tablet if you don't want the advanced features, I guess, or grab an unused first gen iPad from someone's closet...

3. Chris Hoffman

It's not all about the media available. For example, the operating system (whether it's iOS, Android, Mac OS on a Macbook, or Chrome OS on a Chromebook) is responsible rendering text, which means that text can be very high-detail on such high-DPI screens. This makes text appear much sharper and more "crisp."

The number of pixels on a screen has two implications, which are quite different. First, this size determines how much detail you can show on the screen. Realistically, even for people with excellent eyesight, resolutions about 200 DPI or so are meaningless in this respect since the items are going to be too small to notice.
    The second issue is the appearance of the display, obviously also related to DPI. Essentially, 300 DPI at reading distance (which is the Retina's resolution) individual pixels are practically undescernible to the eye, which makes the display appear much natural and smooth. It is this second factor which caused Apple to design the Retina display (I remember reading Steve Jobs talking about it somewhere, but don't have a reference to hand, sorry).

The "right" resolution? I am old enough to remember the dot matrix printers of the '80s, including the Apple ImageWriter II which had a resolution of 144 DPI... When the first LaserWriter came out, we all gawked and were amazed by the "incredible" smoothness of 300 DPI printing... Of course, as soon as we tried to use it for desktop publishing we discovered it wasn't quite there, and I got an HP LaserWriter 4M when I could afford it, with 600 DPI "enhanced to 1200 DPI" - much better! Still for ordinary printing any inkjet or cheap laser printer today would suffice, even if higher resolutions are available (and yes, on paper you really can see the difference). So coming back to your question, I think the "right" resolution is one which is right for YOU - your preferences, your wallet, your requirements... Apple are at the luxury end of the market, there are others who compete elsewhere, and it's up to you to decide what is good enough, or even if you want "good enough" or "the best"!

if you need extreme detail then they are essential, some do high end image or video editing program (photoshop...) on this kind of resolution and they will be happy with all enhanced details, not to mention journalist writing in these screens. Projection system uses QXGA/WQXGA to get crisp images even when enlarged to these dimensions important while having video conference...