Why don’t my Facebook status updates appear in my friend’s news feed?
Question by Pepe /

My close friend and I don’t see each others links and status updates. We’ve been friends on Facebook for 2 years. But 2-3 months ago Facebook stopped showing me her status updates and she stopped seeing mine.

We tried checking to see if we’d blocked each other, we tried removing each other friends and re-friending, but it didn’t work. Any advice?

• shami

i have alot friends..around 4000 but when i update any status so somthing people show my status cant see all .so please help .what should i do for that situation

Before posting,you need to make sure that the privacy level of your post is atleast set to friends only so that they can view it.

• Angela

I have been having a similar problem for awhile now (both on my mobile and computer.) My friends can see my status updates just fine (every single one), but when I re-post a link or video from another site or FB page it never shows up in my friend’s newsfeeds. I checked that I have allowed the post to be visible to my friends and they still never see it unless they go to my timeline. Any ideas??? Part of me thinks my friends all have their newsfeeds set to “top stories” (vs “most recent”) and for some reason my links and videos never qualify for their “top stories” even if my status updates do! Weird :/ Also, sometimes I am not given the drop down menu to chose my audience (or the option to post to a group, page, etc)… Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have checked all my settings and re-posted things to be sure the audience is correct and nothing has worked!

• Fernando

Ok Everyone I just figured it out I am on the latest iPhone Facebook app as of 9/24, and this is how you fix it. Whe you post something in the post section there is a button where it limits who can see it. On my phone it’s the button all the way to the right with a drop down arrow. Make sure it’s set to friends, then your friends should be able to see your post. Please pass this around because I know a lt of people are having the same problem. Hope this helps.

• Halina

Thanks Fernando! I was getting so mad! I updated to the latest version as you suggested and followed your instructions – it was set to close friends. I changed to friends and it’s all good now. Ta – I post my blog and it’s important for people to see!
      Thanks again

• Todd

Same thing here. I’ve got one of my best friends doing this to me, we list each other as close friends, subscribed to everything, but his posts don’t show up in my news feed, and if I go to his page, nothing shows up but my posts involving/tagging him, nothing else.

I’ve unfriended then refriended him, still the same problem.

Really damn annoying.

• Abby

I am having a similar issue, where only I can see everything that I post on my timeline, but none of my friends can view my status messages. I have checked and rechecked the privacy settings and they are all on friends, so why can’t my friends see my status updates?

• Jeff

I’m having the same problem as Abby. My status updates aren’t appearing in any of my friends’ newsfeeds. ??

• Jessika

SAME thing is happening to me! The only thing showing up are my pictures..

• Shelley

Same darn thing. I just don’t get it and would love to have an answer/solution. I post status updates on my Homepage and some appear on my Timeline for my friends to see, some things don’t. It is not consistent.

Driving me crazy. All my settings are the same as my husband’s yet he can’t see all my updates on the Timeline (and no, he has not been blocked, lol. We have no secrets). Same with my other friends. Grrrr. The only different thing on my settings is that I have one “friend” excluded from viewing. Tried allowing that one (don’t ask why I don’t just block them, lol) for awhile… but it didn’t make a difference to my posts/status updates being seen on my Timeline.

WHAT IS HAPPENING? Can anyone help? And Jane’s “fix” doesn’t work for me ’cause I’m posting from my homepage now (I like the view/news feed better)

• Jane

As I posted on Abby’s comment, “I had that happening to me so I just went to my “home” page, posted, then it appeared on my Time Line and people could see it on their page.” It worked for me, maybe it will work for everyone else.

• Jane

I had that happening to me so I just went to my “home” page, posted, then it appeared on my Time Line and people could see it on their page.

• peiyankar

this thing happend in my Page,
    my fans cant see my status, in there feeds
    but if the visit in my page wall they can see

• majd

subscribe me on facebook mjad issa then i subscribe you back <3

• Tim Johnson

Facebook has a page talking about subscribing to your friends at http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=188147907920585  It says “Hover your mouse over the Subscribed button at the top of someone’s profile (timeline) to adjust how frequently you see updates from them as well as the types of updates you see.”

Also, at the top of your news feed there’s a gray line with SORT on it.  Click that, and you can switch between looking at top stories or most recent stories.  Facebook kind of makes a guess and prioritizes postings.  So even if you have 2 friends with default settings, you might see more of one than the other because Facebook has noticed that you comment or like more of their posts more often… that’s how it picks the “Top” stories.  Switching over to “Recent” will show you more stuff that may have been automatically hidden.

• Jay.0

This is a known situation.
    Try these things :

-Check your privacy settings :friends only, make sure your restricted list is empty. .

-list each other at “close friends” and subscribe to “all updates” . so you will receive a notification, when your friend  updates status, shares something or adds a photo.

like or comment on each others updates.