How can I keep my domain name when my website is broken?

Emily January 8, 2012

My WordPress/ComicPress website is unfixable according to the ComicPress manager I talked to. I want to keep the exact domain name, is there a way to delete the page? I just made and start over using the same name? Please help, I am super frustrated!!!

1. Jamie VanRaalte

While I agree with James, you can just delete everything and start fresh. How you do that depends on your set-up!

Firstly, I dont believe any wordpress site is "unfixable", unless you literally lost your database of posts and deleted the image uploads folder. If it's just giving you errors, then let me know and I'll tell you what we can do. It would be a shame to lose everything, I'm sure. 

How is it currently hosted? Using the same domain is trivial if it's self hosted, but not if you're using WordPress.com or some kind of specialist wordpress host / godaddy shared rubbish. Give me some more details and I should be able to help. Assuming the domain is actually your own domain, pointing it to a new host is as easy as changing the nameserver records. 

So, please let me know your:

- webhost
    - domain host (ie, where you bought the domain)
    - state of site currently (just errors, or file deleted, or database corrupted)?

ps, you can also contact me via email - jamesbruce at makeuseof.com, if you'd rather not give away any more details here.