What can I do if my dog ate my homework…or rather my SD card?

Don Propp4 September 29, 2011

I think I am toast, but thought I’d throw this out there just in case there’s a sliver of hope.

Today I dropped my 16 GB SD card on the floor, and the dog got hold of it. There are now a few teeth marks in the plastic, and the computer won’t recognize it, let alone read it.

The plastic case came open, and there are no teeth marks over the area where the actual chip is. However, when I place the card in a card reader it becomes very hot so I suspect there is a short circuit anyway.

Any hope, folks, without spending a bundle on a data recovery service? Thanks!!

1. Onilee26

Its the effect of your dogs rabies. LMAO. 

Tell your dog to go to the shops to buy you a new one.

Sorry if I am not much help, as I can't think of anything to help you, but I laughed at your title.

3. Dbp9000

Thanks for the reminder, Fidelis. You're right, with it pulling so much current (getting hot), it could indeed damage the system. I've given up trying to get the data back myself, and it's not worth spending the money and taking a very small chance that a pro can get it back. So like Frank said, so unhelpfully, s... happens. :(

Hello, I am sorry to say, you might not be able to recover the contents of you card yourself.  What might happen though, is that it because the card is exposed, it might end up damaging your memory card reader and/or your system.

i doubt the bundle will help, you can try on linux/MAc, then last option see a techy service but will coast!

6. Frank Sacriste

well, shit happens... eventually.