Does rooting an Android device mean installing a custom ROM?
Question by Erlis Dhima /

Since I bought my HTC Wildfire S, I have had the problem with internal memory, also a lot of application require root access. I’ve been very curios if rooting meant installing a custom ROM, and not just “unlocking” your device.

I want to know if I root my device, do I have the same ROM, which means having Android Gingerbread 2.3.5 even after rooting? Also, do my apps get deleted or does it happen to have any bug or even worse bricking the phone?

The main thing I want to know is if I still get to use Gingerbread.

Also, can I delete apps that come with the device when bought, that can’t be deleted? Or even moving apps (like Facebook app), after rooting?

Also, to close, how much is secure to use this guide:

http://www.htcwildfiresblog.com/2012/03/guide-to-rooting-htc-wildfire-s-235-s.html

• Vishal Surana

i understand u r using makre use of truelyi understand u ri understand u r using makre use of truelyusing makre use of truely

• Vishal Surana

i understand u r using makre use of truely

• Vishal Surana

Rooting is just getting administrative access to your phone, using root credentials is another story. If you rooot your phone, you can do whatever you think to do to your phone You can install some backup utils, system utils, or install another ROM, upgrade your Android version, install another kernel on your phone… whatever ths is true i am ur bot ser vant

• Vishal Surana

Good luck with that other post. Its just the first thing that pops up on a search nkc

• Vishal Surana

pagal hai kya rooting means fully access tosystem files

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks everyone for your answers! I rooted my phone, and I have still gingerbread 2.3.5!

• Nevzat Akkaya

Rooting is just getting administrative access to your phone, using root credentials is another story. If you rooot your phone, you can do whatever you think to do to your phone :) You can install some backup utils, system utils, or install another ROM, upgrade your Android version, install another kernel on your phone… whatever…

• Mihovil Pletikos

rooting is getting a root access to be able to change something in the OS, so you keep everything… unlocking means that you can use sim from other network…. and to install custom rom is different animal :)

• Adrian Bagnato

It just means that you can give apps more permission, such as SetCPU, Titanium Backup and a whole lot more apps on Google Play.

• Junil Maharjan

No, Rooting simply means gaining administrative level access to your phone. Rooting gives you access to root files and folders which you can use to modify your phone’s system. But be very careful with the files and folders.