Does rooting an Android device mean installing a custom ROM?

Erlis Dhima January 11, 2013

Since I bought my HTC Wildfire S, I have had the problem with internal memory, also a lot of application require root access. I’ve been very curios if rooting meant installing a custom ROM, and not just “unlocking” your device.

I want to know if I root my device, do I have the same ROM, which means having Android Gingerbread 2.3.5 even after rooting? Also, do my apps get deleted or does it happen to have any bug or even worse bricking the phone?

The main thing I want to know is if I still get to use Gingerbread.

Also, can I delete apps that come with the device when bought, that can’t be deleted? Or even moving apps (like Facebook app), after rooting?

Also, to close, how much is secure to use this guide:
http://www.htcwildfiresblog.com/2012/03/guide-to-rooting-htc-wildfire-s-235-s.html

1. Vishal Surana

i understand u r using makre use of truelyi understand u ri understand u r using makre use of truelyusing makre use of truely

2. Vishal Surana

i understand u r using makre use of truely

3. Vishal Surana

Rooting is just getting administrative access to your phone, using root credentials is another story. If you rooot your phone, you can do whatever you think to do to your phone You can install some backup utils, system utils, or install another ROM, upgrade your Android version, install another kernel on your phone… whatever ths is true i am ur bot ser vant

4. Vishal Surana

Good luck with that other post. Its just the first thing that pops up on a search nkc

5. Vishal Surana

pagal hai kya rooting means fully access tosystem files

6. Erlis Dhima

Thanks everyone for your answers! I rooted my phone, and I have still gingerbread 2.3.5!

7. Nevzat Akkaya

Rooting is just getting administrative access to your phone, using root credentials is another story. If you rooot your phone, you can do whatever you think to do to your phone :) You can install some backup utils, system utils, or install another ROM, upgrade your Android version, install another kernel on your phone... whatever...

8. Mihovil Pletikos

rooting is getting a root access to be able to change something in the OS, so you keep everything... unlocking means that you can use sim from other network.... and to install custom rom is different animal :)

9. Adrian Bagnato

It just means that you can give apps more permission, such as SetCPU, Titanium Backup and a whole lot more apps on Google Play.

No, Rooting simply means gaining administrative level access to your phone. Rooting gives you access to root files and folders which you can use to modify your phone's system. But be very careful with the files and folders.

You can try the instructions as it seems to be well researched and working.But don't skip any step else you might face severe issues.After rooting your phone,your ROM remains same and nothing happens to the pre-installed apps.

The trusted app for removing bloatwares from your phone is Titanium backup's paid edition($6).It has ability of backing,restoring data and app uninstallation.

For security reasons access to some of system root files are restricted in android phones and super Linux super administrator account does not exists when you root your device you are removing these limitations from you phone and enabling system root access and adding super administrator user to your account.
    By this you are allowing applications to access the system root and have more control of your phone and remember that you are also allowing malwares to destroy your phone more effectively than a non rooted phone. Do it if you really need to do.

13. Dany Bouffard

No it does not mean installing a new ROM, it means that you have access to install some apps that require to have access to system files. Some really cool use for Root user on Android are Ad-Blockers and Really interresting Titanium Backup. The best Backup software for Android user, but require to be rooted to use.