Does Nokia’s FindMyPhone setting work even without the SIM card?

H N December 11, 2013

I’m from Austria, but I’m deployd in Albania, and there are rumors that some teens bump you and steal your phone here. I have a Nokia Lumia 928 and that has FindMyPhone activated in the settings. does it work when the SIM is out or with a different SIM on it?

Thank you guys

As Hovsep mentions, the FindMyPhone location services rely on internet connectivity to work. It should still work, possibly with less reliability, if the connection is through Wi-Fi. The bigger issue would be that if the pick-pockets were smart, the first thing that they would do is remove the SIM card, turn off Wi-Fi, go through the phone to find information (not always the case), then factory reset the phone.

Once the phone is factory reset, you lose all location abilities through the FindMyPhone app because it would no longer be set up with your settings. If this is the case, the best thing to do is contact your phone service provider to report the phone stolen and blacklist the IMEI number. Blacklisting the IMEI number would mean that the phone would not be allowed to be used for any phone service, reducing the phone's functionality to only Wi-Fi connectivity.

The first thing to do if you notice your phone missing is to lock the phone, then try to locate the phone. Make sure the SIM card change notification service is activated and check your email for any notifications or photos being taken of the person using your phone.

I would like to note that in most cases, if you do not have proof of who has your phone, where exactly it is located, and that it is in fact stolen, the authorities most likely will not help you. You have to be 100% on top of the situation and be able to get to the location of the phone at quickly as possible. The longer it takes to get to the location of your phone, the less of a chance to recover it. If all else fails, report the phone stolen and blacklist the IMEI number, then perform a remote wipe of your phone if you are still able to access the phone through FindMyPhone.

2. H N

they have Wifi all over the country

• Oron J

Your question is a good one, and I can't find a direct answer on Nokia's site or elsewhere. Perhaps you should contact their tech support?

If someone removes your SIM, the only chance of finding the phone would be by triangulation from cellular masts using the IMEI. I don't think WiFi would figure in this one way or the other (however, you should be able to lock the phone, which will perhaps not get it back to you, but will deny the thieves the pleasure of using it).

well it should have internet access if not 3G then wifi