Does my social network with 500+ members need a VPS or dedicated server?

Garva S July 8, 2013

I have a social network like Facebook and it have 500 plus members and I am currently running it on HostGators shared hosting. Do I need a VPS or dedicated server? Because 5+ peoples register daily on the network.

1. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Total number of users or even new users per day means nothing as they may be inactive. How many pageviews do you get daily? My old shared host struggled at around 500 pageviews a day.

There's other things to look at though:
    - how fast is your page loading?
    - are you getting resource warnings from your current host?
    - have you already done everything you can at the current level - caching, CDN, CloudFlare etc?

If theres no *problem* at the moment, then no, don't bother switching.

Alternatively, look at what you can afford - how much revenue does the site generate, and is it enough to cover the costs of $50/month VPS hosting and then some? If it's not even covering the current costs, then you have other problems to deal with first.

• Garva S

I done all thing that you tell and my profit is about 900-1100$ but i wanna earn more please tell me does vps help me or i need a dedicated server with cdn and other speedy things reply me fast because maybe i am the next jucerberg.

• James B

A VPS is just faster hosting than shared. It wont do anything for your site, no. The only reason to upgrade is because a shared host can no longer work for you.

• Garva S

thank you very very much today i upgrade my hosting plan from shared to vps pro and now no problem network work like a charm i am very happy now but just one more question which is better cloud or vps