Does it create a problem for my laptop battery if it is fully charged and still plugged in?

Fawad Mirzad December 17, 2012

Usually, when I use my Dell laptop, I have access to power, meaning that I do not have problem in keeping it plugged in. I know that I should not empty battery at all. Should I plug out when the charge becomes full? Does it create any problems for my battery if I keep it plugged in while using it?

1. Douglas Mutay

I would say that it really doesn't make a big difference especially if you're using your laptop frequently on battery and on power. Normally laptop where meant to be used on both power source without problem. Once a battery is full it won't charge anymore and will remain like this until disconnected from power source.

2. Raghav Gupta

Not much effect but yes it reduces lifetime of battery

You laptop might stop taking charge after its fully charged. it depends upon laptop and i do not see any problem there. it needs power to run no matter how it gets. just keep your batteries safe from heat.

4. Duy Nguyen Minh

your battery once in a while, and if you’re plugged in, take out the battery sometimes. Battery miss error.

5. Alex Slutsky

Usually most manufacturers say that it doesn't hurt the battery, but with my experience, my current battery died from constantly having my laptop plugged in...

I think that you should try and discharge your battery once in a while, and if you're plugged in, take out the battery sometimes..

perhaps depends on battery type, modern laptops know when to charge the battery and have built in charge controllers (have circuits in them to protect against overcharging the battery).

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
    A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

• Fawad Mirzad

Tnx for usefull link dear . like it

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thanks for the answer. I've been wondering about this too.

7. Ahmed Musani

it does effect the battery efficiency and reduces its life as once fully charged it keeps on charging and discharging. if you want to improve its life plug it in and once fully charged unplug.

• Rohit Jhawer

I would go with Ahmed, it does effect but in long run. You wont see any difference for an Year or so but it reduces the batter life a bit. Calibrating your battery once a month will boost your battery life.

• Qin Tang

Thanks for this answer.

8. luis donis

not cause any problems qu that what you say I always do the same with this laptop I have 5 years of having it and never gave me no fault