Does anyone know of any auto-complete apps for Mac?

Austin Halsell January 3, 2013

I’m a writer and I’ve been looking into text-expanders, clipboard managers, and even snippet managers (though I’m not sure I understand how snippets are supposed to be used) in an attempt to speed up my writing by cutting down on repetitive words and phrases. Things like character names, places, and that sort of thing. But all of these solutions of looked into and tried seem to slow down the process at some point or another.

What I’ve been looking for all along, unsuccessfully, has been a auto-complete function like PhraseExpanders auto complete. But that is Windows-only. Anyone know of a Mac app that has that feature?

• Austin Halsell

Thanks, Patrick! I didn't know that Mountain lion had a text expansion feature built in. I have sort of used the Mac "auto" complete, but its really more of a "semi-auto" complete because you have to remember to do the key command anytime you want to use it. I think for most words, it'd probably be faster to just type the word than press command +period for all but the longest words.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

• Patrick

Hi Austin,
        You are right, it is a bit awkward to press the key command every time.
        I have another idea: how about word prediction software? I found a site that lists software that works on both Windows and Mac. The only downside is the price ...

• Austin Halsell

That's exactly what I was looking for! I guess I just didn't have the right words for what I was looking for. But you're right, that is a lot of money. I might as well just get Dragon Dictate to speed up my writing for that much money :/

Thanks for all your help though! You really have showed me some very interesting and potentially helpful shortcuts/tools I can consider. Thanks!

A bit unrelated but as you are an writer and using MAC OS X, I wanted to introduce you to a software, which may help in your writing work. It is a word processor for writers.

Have your tied Scrivener ? It is available for both Windows and Mac OS X. You can checkout . You can try the free trial if you want to see if it is good or not.
    Also a user review of someone who switched from yWriter to Scrivener is here for your reference :

• Austin Halsell

Yes! I just started using it about a month ago and it has totally revolutionized the structure and organization of how I write. When I was just using Word I would loathe working on big pieces and frequently quit on novels because I'd get so overwhelmed trying to keep track of all my folders and files. Scrivener is seriously one of the greatest tools I've ever discovered and has totally rekindled my passion for writing. Obviously, I'm already totally enamored with it, but thanks for sharing it anyways. E

2. Mac Witty

Typinator by ergonis is an other alternative

if you want words to appear while typing perhaps to use another keyboard?

4. Patrick

Hi, have you tried TextExpander from ?

• salim benhouhou

textexpander will do the trick

• Austin Halsell

I have not yet tried TextExpander, but I have looked into it as extensively as you can without actually using it. I've read and re-read their feature summary, and it doesn't seem like they have what I'm looking for. They have the text-expansion and snippets as well as some other more advanced features, but they make no mention of an auto-complete.

I don't want to have to may a list of shortcuts for commonly typed things, I'm looking for something that will suggest words based on what I'm typing in real time.

Does TextExpander have this and just doesn't mention it?

• Nancy Messieh

You can try TextExpander for free. As far as I know, the free trial doesn't actually expire. At least it didn't when I used it.