Do you think US governement should allow high numbers of H1-B visas while many American graduates struggle to get tech work?

Joseph Videtto June 16, 2013

“and in the most contested clause, vastly expands how many temporary contract workers can be brought into this country under so-called H-1B visas, while also raising the minimum wages they must be paid.”

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/tech-pushes-to-keep-its-spoils-in-immigration-bill/?partner=rss&emc=rss

1. Tina Sieber

Excerpt from an interview with Brian Halligan (CEO of HubSpot) on Business Insider...

BI: Have you guys experienced a tech talent crunch?

BH: Absolutely. And I have a theory behind it. I feel like there’s a massive supply and demand problem, and there are two reasons for it in my mind. One reason, I think for a long time people didn’t go into computer science because they thought the whole computer science industry was going to be outsourced to India. It turns out that wasn’t true. While that was going on, kids and fathers and mothers didn’t rush into computer science. That's one thing that really hurt from the supply side. The second thing that really hurt from the supply side is there are so many alternatives for good software developers today. They can go to a Google or Facebook, they can go to a HubSpot, they can start their own darn company. There's just this plethora of nice opportunities for them, so the supply and demand ratio is way, way off. There's a massive demand for high-quality developers and a low supply. We’re being extremely aggressive about it.

For example, our referral bonus for new software developers, is $30,000. If you know a software developer, and you refer them to me and I hire them, we cut you a check for $30,000. That's 10X more than we do for any other function inside of HubSpot. So we're working hard to try and get the best and brightest developers here.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/hubspot-ceo-brian-halligan-on-company-culture-2013-6#ixzz2WYHNDdiO

2. dragonmouth

Of course a government "of the people, by the people and for the people" should step in and require hiring priority for American graduates. But it won't. What you and I and most Americans think is immaterial. Remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules. Politicians know which side their bread is buttered on. Money talks, BS walks, and you and I are part of that BS, especially after the Supreme Court decided that corporation are to be considered individuals.

You and I and the rest of the workers are nothing more than a "human resource" to the companies and their managements. We are no different than scrap iron and coal to the steel industry. The workers, along with all the other resources, are to be managed according to corporate policy in such a way as to maximize profits. We are going back to the times of the Robber Barons.

3. Jan Fritsch

I don't know much about the situation in the US but as Tina said there are fields and situations which require the experience and expertise of someone working in the field for a while.

The truth is that graduates usually are less qualified then someone who has been working in this field without having any related education. Especially in the tech world there usually is no "textbook" solution which you can learn at school.

Of course this creates a problem for graduates who will have a hard time finding a job because more often than not foreign employees despite their knowledge and experience are less expensive than a graduate just starting out in the field.

This is where the government would have to react by other means for example subsidisation.

• dragonmouth

You and Tina are thinking logically. Unfortunately the corporate logic is entirely different. All that US companies care about is the bottom line. They are willing to train H1B workers because, even with the cost of training, it is cheaper than paying an American worker for his experience. A permanent worker with experience costs the companies between 33% and 40% in benefits in addition to the salary. An H1B worker can be hired for a much lower salary and, since he is temporary, no benefits need to be paid. An H1B worker, being temporary, can be let go at any time and the next one can be hired at a bargain-basement rate. Wash, rinse, repeat.

4. Tina Sieber

TL;DR

From what I know it is very hard to get a visa to work in the US. Even people who are already in the US and are established in their job struggle to get their visa extended.

The people who do get the visa may actually be very much needed. A recent graduate with no work experience can not compete with someone who has X years of experience in a field with few experts.

I do think the US tech industry has a responsibility to give its own people a chance to gain experience. However, they must also compete in the market and attract the best talents in the world. So it's a fine balance to be struck.

For most tech positions, the only balance that corporations care about is the balance sheet.

Visa extensions can be difficult because the employee is getting to the point where they can start demanding better compensation from the company. When this happens, the company will find they no longer need this employee, but they need more visas for those who will replace him. It is simply how these CEOs justify their exorbitant salaries, bonuses & perks.

And a great number of these American STEM workers already have a decade or more of experience and cannot get jobs. Just look at the recent IBM move to drop 8,000 employees. I have little doubt that they are just prepping for the additional H1Bs that they hope are about to become available. After all, they have already bought them from this corrupt government so why wouldn't they appear?