Do you need to defragment ReadyBoost USB drives?

Chris Marcoe June 5, 2013

I have a 16GB flash drive that I have set up as ReadyBoost on my computer. When I defrag my HDDs, should I defrag my Readyboost drive also?

1. null

You should NEVER defrag a flash drive, or an SSD. When you defrag a SSD/Flash Drive, it will end up causing tons of small write accesses, which will reduce its lifespan .

2. ANKUR T

RATHER THAN Defragging IT YOU MUST REMOVE AND FORMATE IT THAN AGAIN USE , A FLASH DRIVE DO NOT REQUIRED Defragging

Defragging is only useful on mechanical devices. In a hard disc the read head needs to move to the correct track and then wait for the relevant part of the disc to go under the read head. This takes time, and having the files organised to minimise it can make a big difference. In flash devices, access to any storage block is equally fast regardless of where the sectors are (i.e. sequential or at opposite "ends" of the drive). Therefore, DalSan is right - the only impact of "defragging" a flash drive would be to reduce its life expectancy a little.

well if it is really slow then you can defrag, defraging usb can use some of the write cycles so will reduce its life. Ready boost technology is write process faster write better readyboost.

5. techguyknows

It is best not to defragment any drives or disks. It will just reduce the lifespan of that disk or drive. Even for Readyboost USB drives, the effect of defragmenting it, should not be very significant.

• Chris Marcoe

What about an HDD that is at 10% fragmented?

I wouldnt defrag any drive unless it was absolutely necessary, and never a flash or a SSD drive.

• Chris Marcoe

Even mechanical HDDs?

A ReadyBoost drive is a flash memory device and you NEVER want to defrag it. There is absolutely no performance benefit to it and it will only reduce the overall lifespan of the device.

8. DalSan M

Defragmenting a flash drive would only reduce the life span of the disk. The performance gain (if any) would not be worth it. I know that there are defraggers that are "designed" for flash drives and cards, but I wouldn't trust them.