Do you know of an affordable TV tuner card for a Windows 8 laptop?

December 6, 2013

Supposedly a decent USB TV tuner (such as Hauppauge) can be purchased for around $30, but my OS is Windows 8, and I doubt that the older TV tuner models will be compatible with it (shame if that is the case). Those that are would be pretty pricey, and I just want to record Over-the-Air channels (thus using a simple indoor antenna), nothing so grand as basic cable.

What’s my best option?

Any card/device that has a Windows certification for Win 7 should have drivers that can work unchanged under Windows 8 or 8.1 since the driver model has remained unchanged between the versions. Since you are looking at a USB device in the first place, there won't be any hardware incompatability in your way either.

2. C├ęsar P

grab a used hauppauge usb2.0 atsc (assuming you are in the USA) one from ebay, if missing original cd it can be "acquired" with google's help

I've just done a search on eBay (for "usb tv tuner windows 8") and came up with a long list. The first item cost a shade under $30 and is advertised as being compatible with Windows 7 and 8.

4. Jones

I was using the WinTV-850 on my surface pro up until recently and it worked fine with WinTV and the supplied antenna.

5. Laura O

I got one from Aldi and it works quite well. It comes with some (really rubbish) software but it's worth the $25 AUD. The software is called Total Media (it's by ArcSoft.)

I'd try Ebay for the tuner and Power Cinema for the software as they work quite well.

The program I would like to use is Windows Media Centre, but because I'm on Windows 8, I can't be bothered paying 10$ for a program I'm gonna use once a month.

6. Pouya

Why not using a virtual machine? Also I have this Digital TV Tuner (a cheap thing I bough at a clearance) which works well on Win 8, I don't remember what sort of tinkering I had to do, but I do remember I tried a few different drivers. Usually for these sort of things I use a virtual machine, either win 7 or win xp as the guest should work depending on the card it self :D

Thanks for responding. It's most likely that the devices compatible with Windows 8 are the more costly ones, and all the rest cannot comply. In one of the reviews in Windows Compatibility Center, someone mentioned how Microsoft has not yet applied external TV tuner compatibility concerning one such USB that was specifically said to be compatible. Perhaps the best course for now is to check for a model useable for older OS...

• Dalsan M

I have found several older Hauppauge and other branded USB TV tuners for around $30-50 that would work with Windows 8 on Amazon. Read the reviews and you can see that many of the tuners work for 8, even if it is certified to work with 7.

Which Hauppage device were you looking at (and/or similar devices by other brands)? We can research if these devices are Windows 8 and Windows Media Center compatible (many are, though some are not compatible with USB 3.0).