Do you have to download files from a FreeNAS device to access them?

Edward Hammond January 14, 2013

If I have my FreeNAS box setup in England and I’m on a plane flying over to Australia when I go and log into my FreeNAS box do I need to download the file to my laptop to open it or can i open it without downloading it?

And secondly can you add external RAIDs to a FreeNAS box?

1. Mihovil Pletikos

if you open it you will download it one way or the other....

How To Set Up Your FreeNAS Server To Access Your Files From Anywhere
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-freenas-server-access-files/

How to setup FreeNas to acess files using internet?
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/759064-how-to-setup-freenas-to-acess-files-using-internet/

3. Shankar C

You can view without downloading the files

4. Daniel Huss

You're a little sparse on the details, but here's my thoughts.

1) It primarly depends on a couple of things. Biggest is the network setup and firewall settings of your router/FreeNAS box. But yes, it's possible to access them remotely. Second to that will be you're upload speed at the FreeNAS box which will probably be the limit of how fast you can get files. If you're editing Word documents that's probably not a big deal, but if you want to watch HD video stored there it might be.

2) When you say "external RAID" I'll assume you mean something like an external enclosure that's a direct attachment with something like USB or Firewire. In most cases you can add them just fine. You'll want to check the FreeBSD compatibility with whatever you want to add, but if it's compatible then it will just show up like any other USB device in the system and can be added as such.

What version of FreeNAS are you running? If it's the legacy FreeNAS 7 then you might want to look at upgrading to either FreeNAS 8 or NAS4Free depending on your needs.

• Edward Hammond

Ok so how do you actually do this

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I think you can stream the contents without having to download the files first.