Do I still need anti-spyware?

adrian mores June 25, 2013

Good day guys, I have an ESET Smart Security antivirus and I have a Web of Trust firefox plugin. Do I still need to have an antispyware? I use my laptop for surfing websites, downloading, playing music and videos, AutoCAD and Sketchup projects, and sometimes, games. As for surfing websites, I am a bit vigilant when opening sites and when I see WoT icon turn yellow/red, I immediately close it. So for me, antispyware is not needed anymore.

My question, I think, is not about security but of speed. As I am a bit of a speed geek, I want a fast PC specially at boot times and shut down times.

1. zoniweb

This is how I do: from time to time (usually once in 2 months) I download portable SuperAntiSpyware "Online Scan", run it, and after it finish its job, I delete it.

http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

Using Eset and WOT is enough for you as any more tool running in realtime would not do any good for you.Instead,it might decrease your speed.It would be better that you have trust in your Eset antivirus as it already contains Anti-Spyware feature.

You can have a good startup time by disabling unwanted services.CCleaner provides an intuitive way to do so.

3. Manide

No need, but for an extra layer of security, use free version of SUPERAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and scan your hard drive from time to time.

3 Tools to Test Run your AntiVirus/Spyware Program
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/test-run-your-antivirusspyware-with-these-tools/

boot times and shut down times depends also on your hardware

you can try something like winpatrol
    http://www.winpatrol.com/
    if something will be installed then you can get a popup message so to halt installation.

5. DalSan M

Oron summed it up nicely. Malwarebytes, as he recommends, should be included on any Windows System as a must-have tool. Most antivirus programs have included some spyware and malware protection and scanning capabilities, so having multiple software for antivirus and AntiMalware is somewhat redundant. The big thing to note is that what one software doesn't find, another one might, so having a scanner instead of an active software would be highly suggested. You seem to be a wise user, so using something like Super AntiSpyware or IOBit Malware Fighter would mostly slow your system down. As Oron and I suggest, Malwarebytes AntiMalware would best suit your needs and wants.

An anti-spyware utility is an extra, not an absolute necessity, but if you use something like Malware Antimalware Free, which does not run in the background, then it will have no impact on speed, but will be there for when you need it!