Do I really need to get a new logic board after my MacBook got wet?

Dick B July 16, 2013

My MacBook got soaked from a ceiling leaking on it, so I dried it with a hair dryer.  Everything works fine but 1/2 the keys.

Apple wants $672 to replace the keyboard and logic board, which they say is corrupted due to this flooding of my Macbook. He says even if it works fine now (except for the 1/2 numeral keys), the logic board is corrupted and will “go out” any time.

Can’t I use the rice bag remedy and avoid paying Apple $672 because “liquid damage” is not covered under my Apple Care plan?

1. Steve

Hello! I recently did this repair very cheaply for a customer! I bought a $25 keyboard off of ebay after I tried reviving the old keyboard. The logic board was fine. Just the contacts on the keyboard had become dirty.

Just replace the keyboard! :)

disconnect and reconnect keyboard cable see if it will work?

About NVRAM and PRAM
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

3. Paul P

Apple fixing prices are exorbitant. Try anything before having to pay them. We paid $450 to replace the lcd on Macbook Air. Next time I do it myself!

Have they been specific about what is causing the issue? If it's "just" the keyboard the upper casing has to be exchanged which would cost you around $200?

In general I agree that water damage usually kills the logic board ~ sooner or later. It often starts with small things not working like the Target Disk Mode (or maybe in this case certain keys of the keyboard) and issues slowly grow to the point where it just won't work anymore.

Is it worth repairing? I don't know ~ Macbooks had their end of life 2 years ago. You can repair it now for $672 or buy a new 13" MacBook Air for $1099. Have you checked if your insurance covers some of the costs? Maybe it would cover the premium for a new device.

5. Matt.Smith

While it may not "go out" at any time, the keyboard controller is on the motherboard AFAIK, and there's no way to replace it without replacing the whole board. Which means yes, you'll need a new logic board to fix the keyboard.

Since you have already dried it with a hair dryer (and apparently turned it on), the "rice bag remedy" will gain you absolutely nothing. It is only used to absorb the moisture from the electronics which has already been done via another method. Most likely the only problem is with the keyboard. In the vast majority of cases I have seen, when the keyboard controller (normally on the motherboard) has an issue, it affects more than 2 keys as it is reading keystrokes via a matrix so you tend to lose the entire keyboard or full rows or columns of keys all at once.