Do I need to purchase a separate license to run a Virtual Machine?

Joseph Videtto December 10, 2012

I’d like to run a virtual machine on my Windows 7 64-bit host – do I need to purchase another version of the Windows 7 64-bit operating system? If not, how do I go about installing the operating system? I’m using Oracle’s free VM software.

1. Brian Carmichael

Windows likes the one license on computer rule. but i have used my key from the host machine to install vm's without any issues. otherwise youll have to pay $50-$80 for a license

2. Luca Vignando

Yes, a new license is needed.
    Actually Windows 7 comes with a compatibility mode with XP and I read around that it is possible to get a working XP virtual machine from Win 7 but it is tricky ad of course against the license and the law.

3. James Maciel

You would need a second key to install on a different computer and a VM would be considered another computer.

4. Adriel Tan

If you are installing another copy of windows in your VM (virtual machine), then you do need another license for windows. If you are installing something that has no licensing (e.g. Ubuntu), then no.

5. Declan Lopez

as long as the computer you are running it on is x64 and you have the product key it should work

6. Amit Sinha

VM ware is the software to provide virtual hardware for the OS so that you can run another OS without booting or installing it to use it, so you have to purchase another copy

Hello, you would definitely need a different license to keep the operating system in a virtual machine.

I am not sure with windows 7, but with server 2003/vista as an example, you could install 2003/vista in a virtual machine and keep it as a trial for an amount of days. This way you could install it without entering a license at installation time.

8. luis donis

for there are several alternatives you can use virtual box is free and good

9. Duy Nguyen Minh

Virtural Machine is free. You can download it easy.

10. Charles Yost

You would definitely need to purchase another copy for your virtual machine. I would not suggest using the same license that you currently have on you PC. Not sure if it would work anyway. I am sure that Windows has some way of blocking that from happening.

11. Vishal Srivastava

As ha14 has said above, it is illegal to use your copy of Microsoft Windows 7 in your virtual machine. You'll have to buy a separate licence.

12. Dave Rimmer

You could have just tried it and found out for yourself, but as ha14 has stated you may not be able to use the same key.

13. Thehunting Lion

If you already hav licensed copy of win 7 ultimate , u can directly use win xp mode

14. Ramón García

Yes, you have to purchase another license

15. josemon maliakal

if you are using a windows OS then you must ..because they consider it as seperate installations even if they are virtual

Licensing for Virtual Environments
    http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/about-licensing/virtualization.aspx

Licensing Windows Desktop Operating System for Use with Virtual Machines
    http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/win7-virtual.aspx

Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

Running a VM of Win 7 inside Win 7 would constitute two installations.