Do I need to buy Windows Home Server to host a website on my personal server?

Nate Smith November 21, 2012

My question is about host a website of my personal use on my server. I think one issue is I’m using a Apple Time Capsule and I have no issues sharing files on my server but setting up my server to do web hosting its saying I need to configure UPnP. I found out that the Time Capsule doesn’t support UPnP so I seem to have to get another router and tie that into the network and then I should be able to do, but I want to know if I’m going down the right way or do I have to go a different way.

1. Vishal Srivastava

Try Ubuntu Server or some servers on the Linux side. Though it might prove hard to understand initially, it'll be worth the swap. Linux servers don't have as many vulnerabilities as Windows does.

2. Paul Tim

You can use free software, like unbuntu server, to run a website instead of Windows Home Server.

3. Amit Sinha

For personal web server you need a sever computer and leased line internet(must) connection min 10mbps (recommended 100mbps) you need Windows server if Apple will not work and you must keep your computer on so that your website can be viewed anywhere if you turn off your system no will able to access your website, if you cant afford this you can go for shared hosting services

4. Rakesh Mishra

for legal use u have to get a liscecse server

If you do not see the Port Mapping option on your Time Capsule, it means that the Time Capsule is in Bridge Mode, connected to another router. If it is the case, so the router should be configured for UPnP