Do I need to buy a new copy of Windows 8 for my new PC if I already installed on another system?

DiamondRyce December 31, 2012

Okay my parts to my custom PC is coming in a couple of days. When Windows 8 came out late october, I bought it for the $14.99 promotional offer on my windows 7 x64 laptop. I did install Windows 8 on another partition on that laptop but did not like it and deleted it.

My question is if I delete every trace of windows 8 associated to my Microsoft account and laptop, can I use the Windows 8 product key on my custom PC for a clean install?
Or Do I need to buy system builder Windows 8?

1. Ahmed Musani

no its 1 PC per licence friend. you need to buy another one.

2. Deekshith Allamaneni

If you are not using the previous system, then just call Microsoft support and inform them of it specifying the reasons to change and also agreeing that you will remove Windows-8 from your previous computer. Then they will allow you to install the same copy on new computer.

3. Saurabh Kumar

i think u should buy a new one....

4. EdmarJohn SanDiego

i think that if you only installed it in one system you still get 4 re-use of your key. i think it is posted on the windows 8 page of the windows website

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

5. Nevzat Akkaya

As far as i know, upgrade version is tied to 1 computer just like an OEM copy. When you intend to buy a copy of Windows, there are many versions to choose, just make sure you understand the license/usage restrictions. There are 4 different Windows 8 Pro's out there, according to this article : http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/windows-8-packaging-and-pricing-revealed/

6. Muo TechGuy

Technically, no you can't. For a start, it was an upgrade. You would need a legit copy of Windows 7 installed first, in order for an upgrade to be allowed. Secondly, it was tied to that particular machine by licensing; you bought an upgrade, with that machine, at a promotional price. That doesn't mean you bought a Windows 8 key to use anywhere on any type of install; it means you're allowed to use it to upgrade that machine you bought. (Think with multipack soda cans for instance; they all say "part of a multipack; not for resale individually", right?)

7. Abba Jee

You should be able to use your windows 8 in custom assembled PC since you've been deleted it from your laptop, but you might have to go through process which Yiz Borol mentioned above there

if it is upgrade then you cannot, if it is full commercial version then you can

Hello, Did you buy windows 8 from the laptop's manufacturer? If you did, I do not think you can be able to install it on a system that is not your laptop. If you bought it from Microsoft itself you might be able to use the license. If it gives you trouble, just call and explain your situation.

if you installed windows 8, and reformatted the drive, you should be able to use same license on another system provided on the situations explained above. Keep in mind that it all depends on the kind of license you have.

The license is meant for a single machine so you need to be buy another license with a different serial key for activation.

11. Yiz Borol

So since you deleted it you will be able to use the Product Key but you need to call Microsoft and tell them to re-enable your key.
    You can reach them here:
    (800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)

Just explain your situation and they'll help you out.

• Patrick Balingit

So the product key is tied to the PC or laptop that you bought it on. So calling this number will reactivate my product key. But what about if I need to reinstall windows 8 for any reason, would I have to call everytime I want to reinstall windows? What about using a windows image backup?

You will need to buy another copy of it. Once that key has been activated to a machine you cannot reactivate it on a different machine.