Do I have to keep the pictures I uploaded to Dropbox on the source device?

November 21, 2013

I uploaded pictures to Dropbox as a way of sharing with family members but do not want to keep a copy on my hard drive as they are taking up to much space. I have them stored on an external hard drive.
Also when I open Dropbox on my PC, it runs so slowly it is unusable and installs in the start up menu. I then have to run the PC in safe mode and remove Dropbox from the start up menu.

1. Ted

Thank you all for your help. I think I am using Dropbox when, for my purpose, I should be using something like Photobox. Thanks again for your help.

2. Haseeb

You may delete photos from the phone/tablet that have been uploaded to Dropbox. Delete them from your device picture "gallery" not from within the Dropbox app, and you'll be fine

There are several different issues in your post, and I'm not sure I can give you a single answer to address all of them, so I'll deal with them separately.

1. Once you have uploaded pictures from the camera they do not need to be kept on the camera.
    2. You use Dropbox to share photos, but these photos must remain in the Dropbox folder to be "published". If you want to store photos on an external hard drive, that's fine, but then you're not going via the Dropbox route.
    3. Dropbox is designed to run all the time. It syncs whatever is in the local Dropbox folder with the cloud. If you don't let it run all the time, it won't be synching all the time, so you'd be defeating the purpose of having it in the first place!
    Dropbox does use up a fair bit of RAM (around 50-70 MB), and some processor cycles, but usually, once the data has been uploaded, the impact on your computer and network is minimal. I've dealt with it on dozens of computers, if not hundreds, and the only time performance was an issue was on on computers with too little RAM (a full hard drive can also cause problems, but they would slow down your entire computer even without Dropbox).

Basically, If all you want is to share pictures, then there are other probably better ways to do this. You could post them on a web site like Flickr ro Photobox, or you could use a more configurable cloud sync product like SugarSync, which allows you to select which folders to sync (and has a free allocation of 5GB, considerably more than Dropbox!). If you do want to use Dropbox, and it slowing down your computer too much, look for the underlying cause. A RAM upgrade is usually cheap and is often the best upgrade you can make to a PC, but perhaps you should replace your hard drive as well, if the photos won't fit on it.

4. Mak

Well it is evident in the Desktop version. But what about the mobile devices like phones or ipad do you need to leave the photos? Because i don't need to save space on my PC but on my iPad on the contrary!

If you are using Dropbox Camera Upload you don't have to keep the originals.
    If you are uploading via the web you can delete the originals but you do have to keep the copy within the Dropbox folder itself.
    If you are uploading by putting them into the Dropbox folder the same as above applies – you have to keep them.

Basically everything you do within the Dropbox folder will be synchronized to Dropbox and across all linked devices. If you delete a file within that folder it will be deleted everywhere else.

Regarding Dropbox running on PC startup,you can disable it by right clicking on Dropbox icon present in the system tray and click on Preferences and then untick on "Start Dropbox on system startup".

if you use Dropbox desktop client and you delete a photo from your Dropbox pc folder , it will also be deleted from Dropbox. You can recover it for 30 days!Dropbox is a cloud syncing service, the idea is to sync your files across all your devices.
    What is the Dropbox desktop application (client)?
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/65/en