Do I have an issue or is my computer just too slow?

anna tory May 21, 2013

My PC is very slow. When I open Facebook, it keeps saying
“This website does not supply ownership information.”

What should I do?

1. Taylor_Dover

It may be that you are mistyping the URL.
    I've also heard of an issue where Chrome gives a false error similar to that. You may want to try, dare I say, Internet Explorer until it is resolved, due to it not having a very strong security system.

2. Taylor_Dover

You could just get a mac...

3. Francisco de Gusmao

First check your pc for malware. There's a lot of free stuff for that! I use advanced system care, the free version is good enough.
    If there is, in fact, some malware, remove it and check the results.

If your computer is just slow, and it shouldn't be (if it has recent & good hardware, it was supposed to be fast) then start unninstalling things. Probably there's some stupid program that's always on the background consuming resources... You can use task manager to identify it! but anyways, unninstall stuff: everything that you used only once or twice, or very few times, just do it.
    Then you can clean your system (once again you can use advanced system care) and check the startup programs, erase anyone that's just there bugging you.

4. Degenerated S

First clean out history,cache, cookies etc from the browser and then check your system time and date .... if the problem still appears then 1. Check for malwares
    2. If u are lazy then buy a new PC

You advised me on giving suggestion where the person has to spend a lot of money, and you advice to buy a new laptop. Wow!!! What a paradoxical situation I must say. :P

• Degenerated S

I said "if u r lazy" ... in that situation nothing can be done expect buying a new one :P

“if u r lazy” does not really apply if a person is asking the question in full earnest to try and resolve the issue. :P

5. justinpot

Find your geekiest friend. Tell her about your problems. Make her a kick ass dinner, and provide lots of beer. Like, a lot. Let her know she can take it home if she wants because you don't really like beer. Then make cookies. Then, and only then, ask her to take a look at your computer because it sounds messed up to a degree a simple web forum cannot fix.

It's this or pay someone to optimize the system.

6. Réy Aétar

are u experiencing in abnormality throughout the rest of the system??or only in ur browser??

if its only your browser check the network and also chk if u r any malware free

7. Dave

While working with computer system, many users often report that they face different issues such as slow performance of the system, slow start up speed, frequent system crashes, improper shut down etc. Such symptoms are very common and occur due to corrupt system files or system registry files. There is no any particular reason of such issues. However, with RecoveryFix Registry Cleaner software you can repair and fix all possible issues with your system.

8. Dave

9. Sai Karthik

u may be having in ur computer or it exactly may not be a virus but a fault in ur programs in the computer. u can search for appropiate antivirus. i can suggest u some antivirus like kaspersky, avast which themselves show where the problem is.

I suggest you also delete software you have not used in months as well as browser toolbars using Ccleaner/Tools. Check you have at least 10% HDD capacity as freespace.

I agree with the others. Facebook problem probably to do with cookies. See discussion at http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/955314 .
    Speed may be due to malware. If it's only *internet speed* rather than speed in general, it may be a problem with your network settings, possibly DNS information. In this case, try the following:
    1. Bring up the command line (In the start menu, type COMMAND and press )
    2. Type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and press ).
    3. See if this makes any difference.

12. Rob H

As regards "slow" then the answer about virus scan etc may help and of course MakeUseOf has articles about PC performance issues like: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cant-stand-the-slowness-top-10-reasons-for-poor-pc-performance/

As for “This website does not supply ownership information.” I think it's a Firefox specific error in which case try this:
    click the History tab>Show All History>Today> find Facebook in the list and Right click on it then "Forget about this site"

have you tried to go to the secure (https) version of the page?
    https://www.facebook.com/
    if yes do you have the same message?

try to clean windows
    adwcleaner
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Removal-Tools/AdwCleaner.shtml

Optimize Your System To Run At Its Best With CCleaner
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/optimize-system-run-ccleaner/

also scan with malwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware

First thoroughly check your computer for spyware/adware/malware and clean them first. Lot of good free software are available for that. I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-malware free version, I use them myself.
    Once you have done that, check your computer for viruses and clean them. Again lot of free good options available. Avast, AVG, Microsoft security essentials etc. After you have cleaned your computer thoroughly, install an anti-virus software.
    Your browser may also be hijacked. So check that and clean those references with a browser anti-hijack software. again lot of freeware available. The anti browser hijack program can be http://www.browserprotect.org/
    Once everything is clean, install a firewall also along-with an antivirus already suggested. You can give Comodo Firewall FREE. It is a good software.
    After you have done all the steps and ensured that your computer is clean, you can always turn on the pop-up blocker in your browser. Almost all modern browser has popup blocker feature built-in.

Once you have done all the above steps, install Piriform Ccleaner and do a registry check and delete all temp files, cache and history with it. Keep this installed, as it is a very useful software to use.

• Degenerated S

You are giving wrong information ...it may be just the problem of browsers .... and you are recommending for firewalls , antiviruses etc .. he would have to spend too much ..

All the software suggested are freeware, so the person won't spend a penny. Besides, the suggestion is good practice to implement on a computer. No harm will come out of it.

• Degenerated S

I mean freewares arent worthy of the paid softwares..

To everyone his own viewpoint. However, probably a lot of people here would not agree that freewares cannot be good alternatives to paid softwares. Piriform, EaseUS, Comodo free solutions are companies for case in point. Their freeware are simply brilliant. There are so many other companies. Canonical Ubuntu open source, JoliCloud OS, so so many to mention. :D

Brilliant freewares :

1. Ccleaner
      2. Defraggler
      3. Recuva
      4. Speccy
      5. Comodo Internet Security free
      6. Comodo Personal Firewall free
      7. Malwarebytes free edition
      8. Kingsoft Office Free (brilliant alternative to MS Office Standard and only 40MB download and 100% compatible)

So the list is endless, my friend. :D A bit of researching can actually have lot of free alternatives to paid softwares.

Mobile platforms like Android and iOS has so many free apps which are also exceptional.

So all OS platforms have brilliant freewares. I rest my case and would not add any further after this into this thread.

• anna

but i already scan with avg it say no threats were found and i don't know
      why my computer always automatic off and stuck.,

Anna,

AVG being an antivirus, would majorly only check for viruses in your computer. Install Malwarebytes free edition from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ , at first time allow it to update the definition files and then do a full scan of all the drives. Click on Free Download in the link and at the last installation screen, tick off the option for a trial on the Pro version. Get back with the results, I am sure the result will be surprising.