Can I ditch Internet Explorer and access Windows Updates with Firefox and the IE View extension?

Kike April 19, 2010

Hello! I use Firefox version 3.6.3 and Windows XP. I want to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 and never again install any version of it.

I think all I need to access “Windows Updates” is an extension (Add-on) for Firefox: href=”https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35″>IE View

The Question:
If I install this Firefox extension, can I safely uninstall Internet Explorer? Can the extension replace Internet Explorer? So in cases when I need to access Windows Update, can I do it with Firefox using this extension?

Thank you.

1. brasscupcakes

It's not that hard to remove ie, the steps are outlined in lots of places if you Google. I used to routinely remove it. And there's an alternative site specifically for Firefox to get the majority of Windows Updates which has been around a long time, no hint of anything sinister (I've often used it). It's at http://windizupdate.com/
    Only thing is, sometimes it doesn't install every single last update (don't know why).
    Plus if you completely uninstall IE without leaving the rendering engine, you will lose ietab. There's a retail program called XPLite (and they have VistaLite too) that enables you to uninstall IE and leave the rendering engine. (Works fine but I don't think it's part of the trial ... also, you really have to be careful with XPlite not to get carried away. There are a ton of options to get rid of stuff but the documention is really really poor, particularly considering the author's native language is English and he updates the program all the time. Supposedly this doesn't matter because the program has a feature to also reinstall whatever you took out by mistake and in theory that works, but in fact, it doesn't always (unless you're one of those people that never revert to previous registries and aren't extremely overzealous emptying your drive of junk files, like I am). Plus it usually asks you for your Windows install CD which is a pain.
    Nevertheless, it's still easier with XPLite than manually removing ie without messing up its rendering engine.
    However, there are still more issues with getting rid of IE, such as certain programs, even freeware, only use IE to update ... ccleaner, for example).
    But hey, you may want to give it a shot. There's system restore (if you don't keep it disabled like I do) and even then you an usually download it from microsoft and reinstall.
    I've kind of relented. I've got a stand-alone copy of ie8 installed, which I don't use unless I don't have a choice, like for online virus checks when my pc's infected. I hate Microsoft, particularly IE, but I also despise Steve Jobs (& hated my Mac) and as much as I've liked various flavors of Linux, it's too damn much of an energy suck to get and retain the same functionality as Windows.
    (part of which, sadly, depends on IE -- but good luck!).

That add-on uses ie to render pages, so you can't uninstall ie and have it work. It's more effort than it's worth to uninstall ie and leave the OS functioning normally (registry editing and at least one modified system file if I remember correctly)- unless you happen to have a European copy of Windows 7...

3. sefcug

I have used the IE Tab extension successfully in the past, but no longer use as it is necessary to keep IE, due to everything that it is tied into. Windows updates are the only things I use IE for, everything else is either FF or Chrome.

I clear everything in all my browsers, no history, cookies, saved passwords, etc., and run CCleaner after each use. Maybe I am just paranoid, but I don't trust ActiveX.

4. Guest

Iv''e tried using FF and the IE Tab extension to use Windows Update, and it fools Windows Update successfully and the page starts loading, but then the page calls for some ActiveX control or something that FF can't render, and the loading of the page will freeze.

You'll need to keep IE around for Windows Updates, and since IE is closely integrated into Windows and many apps use it, uninstalling IE is NOT recommended.

Short answer:
    DONT uninstall IE, instead keep it around for updates, and use FF for net browsing.

"DONT uninstall IE, instead keep it around for updates, and use FF for net browsing."

I second that.