Why do Disqus comments on MakeUseOf never load?

Steve W October 18, 2010

Whenever I read an article on the MakeUseOf website, the comments section simply states ‘loading comments’, but never shows them! If I press the link ‘problems loading Disqus’ nothing happens. I am using IE 8 as my browser with Windows XP SP3.

Steve,

I tried to reproduce what you see and disabled all scripts. The result is that the comments are displayed as plain text. What you see is different. So I'm clueless.

Nevertheless, you may try this. Go to > Extras > Internet Options > Privacy tab. What is the setting there? Mine is 'middle' (third option from bottom on the slider) and popups blocked. You might have to reduce your security settings. Also go to the Security tab, select > Internet from the different zones, and set the security level to middle. Then once more delete cookies and cache, restart your computer, and see what happens.

I would also recommend to update Internet Explorer. If this doesn't fix the issue, use another browser.

2. Steve W

I have deleted cookies and temporary internet files. Does not help. I did check using Firefox and I can see comments. Must be some setting in IE 8 causing the problem. Any ideas what?
    Steve W.

I don't really use Internet Explorer these days so it's really hard to say what may be an issue here. I suggest switching to Chrome or Firefox. Or upgrading the Internet Explorer to a newer version.

Steve,I have had the same happen to me occasionally when either Disqus or my internet were slow. Is Internet Explorer slow in general? Did you try another browser like Chrome or Firefox?Since it sounds like Disqus is stuck loading the comments, the issue could be caused by a bad cookie or cache. Try deleting all your temporary internet data, restart Internet Explorer, and try again. In Internet Explorer, go to > Extras > General, and click the buttons to > Delete Cookies and > Delete Files.

Steve,

please check if the the issue persists using some other browser like Chrome or Firefox. We can give you more specific answers then.