Why won’t the display on my Toshiba Satellite turn on?

Kwaku May 8, 2012

The display on my Toshiba Satellite won’t turn on. It was previously saying I should recover my settings, but now the display just doesn’t work at all. I can tell the CD Drive is on. How do I fix it?

1. James West

You should try plugging it in to an external monitor. If you get video on the monitor, then the problem is either the ribbon cable or the laptop monitor. If you get no video on the monitor, than the problem is probably the motherboard. Question, was the screen showing funky colors previous to complete lack of video.

Hello, best thing to do would to use an spare monitor to check if you get any video. If you do, try to enable VGA mode. Once VGA mode is enabled, it would use generic video drivers and disable the ones installed in your computer for your graphics card. Most times this solves this problem. Keep in mind that it might also be a probem with the laptop's monitor...it might need replacing. Here are some instructions about how to enable VGA mode:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/safemode/safemode.html

remove the battery, unplug from the wall press the ON button for 2min, add the battery and reboot.

you can also try to reset cmos battery

Try cycling through the monitor select function (Fn or Fn+F1... on your keyboard and see if it is not on external monitor?

Try to start the computer in Safe Mode. If this is possible, change your display settings within range for your display. If you still don't have video, attach an external monitor to see if you can get a display.