What do you like or dislike about Facebook?

Tina February 24, 2011

Are you a member of Facebook? What made you join and what do you like about it?

If you’re not a member or in case you don’t like it, what is it that you don’t like?

1. lingereyes

I don't like to have a facebook simply because it's just a waste of time for me. Id rather spend time with people personally rather than spending time with them on the internet. It's fake... If you want to know my updates you can simply text me or call me up on the phone right?

• Andy_Capp

Agreed.

Facebook has gotten out of hand...no, the people using it have. It's highly impersonal and rather disturbing that this is the direction our society is going. Pretty soon, you won't be having beers poolside with friends...you'll just get together on facebook and have a drunken cyber splash. Kids are growing up nowadays to have no social skills because most there interaction with each other is done over facebook...it's a shame.

pros: everyone is on Facebook these days
    cons: too complex privacy settings

3. MrE

I dislike the constant notices when a friend 'likes' something or starts playing a game or 'application'.

4. Osama

I like it because it's free and open, but I dislike hate groups against Islam.

I had an FB account for ~4 months and I deleted it for the very same reasons why I hesitated signing up in the first place.

1. unpleasant and unwanted interaction with co-workers
    2. too complex and laborious settings
    3. too much Friends organizing needed
    4. data harvest

It really s*cks using FB when your work associates you with at least 300 people. Even if you decide not to add any co-worker to your Friends list you are guaranteed to have some awkward moments in the office being asked "Hey, why didn't you accept my Friend request?".
    At the end of the day your only option is to accept all of them and go through the all the privacy and security options regularly.
    I also guess you already figured that most of them don't drop by your Profile page just to say "Hi, how are you?"

After 1 1/2 weeks I decided to delete my account ~ yes, I did say 4 months at the beginning. That's because Facebook doesn't like to lose people [and their data]. After completing the Delete Account steps you are told that your account is deactivated for 2 weeks in case you want to join back ~ turns out after 4 weeks you are still able to login with your details and automatically reactivate your account.

In case I missed some check-box or so I decided to try it again... with the same result. Long story short it took almost 3 months and 4 Emails to Facebook before the account was finally deleted - or something like that.
    The reality is that duo to all the backup policies it takes ~6 years before all your data, photos etc. is finally vanished from servers controlled by Facebook.

I do have an fake account on FB but I only use it for those Software giveaways where you just have to like a developers profile to get a product key.

That's my lengthy Facebook story (¬_¬)

Mike,

what you have gone through sounds familiar. I have heard these types of stories from several other people.

Personally, I don't find it too much work to create different friends categories. But I also don't like that any new settings are wide open per default.

Facebook has several issues one being trustworthiness. I hope they will fix them.

I think a simplified version of Facebook that is stripped down to a profile photo and the ability to exchange contact information (off per default) and messages would be great. It could be offered as an alternative to the full-fledged social networking profile.

6. Tilman

Tina, interesting question =) Let's see if it will entice some hot discussions here ;) My PERSONAL opinion is that this question is simply outdated. I asked myself this question a few years ago when I was trying to resist as long as possible not to join. Eventually, the peer pressure just became too high.

Today I have over a thousand friends on Facebook whom I all know personally. (By the way, Tina, can I add you as a friend there? :)) It somehow became a list of people I know. EVERYBODY is there. You simply know that if you don't have a persons contact information, you can find him/her on Facebook. I try to distribute my "real" contact information as much as I can, but still often people try to contact me without having my contact information. In that case, Facebook is just unbeatable. (Especially as my personal homepage is for the time being switched off.)

I used to love Facebook's feature to sort the friends list chronologically in terms of when the person was added. So it was not only a list but a chronological list of whom I know. Nowadays that feature does not seem to exist anymore sadly.

In spite of Facebook's huge strengths and opportunities, I do not really "like" it. I would wish that I would be able not to there. Therefore, I don't really "use" it myself actively. I only use it for receiving messages from people who don't want (or cannot) send me an email and for sending messages to people whose email address I don't have. That's it :) Why do I not really like it although I consider it obligatory to be there? Well, I guess everybody knows about the objective problems. Subjectively, I consider walls and apps and tabs and photos and whatever else to be pure time-wasters. No interest whatsoever to use those "features" of Facebook. Conclusion: Everybody has to join Facebook because it is truly useful ONLY if everybody can be found there :)

Tilman,

I agree 100% and I use Facebook much the same way, i.e. to stay in touch with people through messages rather than eMails.

My rule is that I only add people I know personally, preferably from face-to-face meetings. I think I have only one person on my list that I haven't met in person first and that's Saikat, a fellow MakeUseOf Editor. Time to travel to India I'd say. ;)

• Tilman

Finnair has cheap offers to India. So make a stop-over in Helsinki so that then I can also add you on Facebook after I have invited you for a cup of tea =)

I might be back in Europe soon. Probably Germany and possibly Sweden. ;)