Will a disk spin up when disabled in the Windows 7 device manager?

Larry October 27, 2011

If I disable a disk in Windows 7 device manager (used for monthly image backups), does it still spin up?

Hello, yes, the disk still spins up and receives power but not as much as you would think.  Keep in mind that if you disable the disk, sometimes you will have a heck of a time trying to enable it, because the system might not see it again.  If this happens you will end up playing the troubleshooting game.  Also, remember that at startup, the system checks for hardware, if the disk is disabled it might give you trouble with start up or hang because it will not find that drive... of course, the only way of finding out is by trying it.  An easier solution for backups would be to get an external drive dedicated to backups, that way you only connect it when needed and avoid possible problems

Good question! Yes, the disk still spins as long as it is receiving power from the PSU. With that being said, only when the drive is disconnected does it not spin. Otherwise, the drive wouldn't know when to spin and when to rest. I'm not sure about Solid State Drives however, as I believe they may be state-aware, therefore knowing when the data needs to be written or read (subsequently meaning that it may rest when not in use).