Why does my internal disk drive turn from NTFS to RAW?
Question by Foad Adnani /

I have a 500GB internal hard disk formatted to NTFS which for some reason sometimes appears as RAW. Here is a screenshot of what shows up when Windows reports RAW instead of NTFS:

When this happens the files still on disk are still ok, but I have to fix it using Parted Magic. I run the software from the boot menu, the software repairs everything. Then I reboot the PC, start Windows 7 and the disk is back to NTFS.

But still, this happens again and I have to repair it all over again. What might cause this and how can I sort it out?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Giggity Goebbels

I think it is corrupted.backup the files on another drive,and reformat the hard drive.then paste the files back

• Foad Adnani

no fix so i bang it with my gun and now its broken …not import . hell the files 500G nice and good but tnx for advice …its nothing i can handling ..live is to amazing but peace of nothing not amazing how cares sooo by

thats bad sometimes software do not fix if it is related to hardware problem and this could be the case. Only solution is backup

• Shahbaz Amin

I don’t think its anything to do with virus infection or malware. Just a hardware issue probably..best just keep it simple and use Windows disk management to fix it.
    Hope this problem stops appearing in future…

• dhanunjayarao chunduri

virus infection,Power surge,wrong way shut-down,bad sector,mistakes at the time of partition…..

Hello, if this keeps happening all the time, chances are there is something very wrong with your drive. You might want to start checking connections first. Also, you might want to try software like the following:

HDD regenerator:

Both of the software above are paid. There is a free version of something simmilar but I have never used it:

You can also start by downloading the diagnostic tools provided by harddrive manufacturer from their website and see what they say

• Douglas Mutay

Use EaseUS Data Recovery and follow instruction given. http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-file-system-to-ntfs.htm

• rohit pandey

there are various factors:

• Jim Chambers

Try windows version of HDD diagnostic software available on drive manufacturers support webpage. Is the drive getting louder or making odd sounds? Also try to improve cooling airflow around drive.

drive ok no file gone just the patch turn to raw … i try it to other OS its ok … i want to now whats the problem and way i cant fix it without format disk

try to run chkdsk on the hard drive

perhaps partition table is corrupted try testdisk
    Hard Drive turned Raw after Fresh OS install

• Rakesh Mishra

u can check for v viris infecation on your pc as due to virus attack sometimes this happens

i have microsoft security essentials …malwarebytes ..iObit malware fighter … i dont think a problem this protectors