What does this disk cleanup error message in Windows Vista mean?

Tom May 28, 2010

When using Windows Vista Home Premium, Disk Cleanup utility, I have been receiving the following error message: Scanning:

System Error Memory Dump Files.

I believe this means that the Disk Cleanup utility is not deleting the files I have chosen for deletion. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Or is it a problem at all?

1. Stanz

me too facing the same problemĀ 

2. Stanz

me too facing the same problemĀ 

Hey Tom

I don't think it's an error at all, the 'System Error Memory Dump Files' are basically files that are created by Windows because of a Stop error. These are just one type of Temporary Files stored by Windows. They are stored/dumped by Windows usually in order to be emailed to Microsoft or another support technician.

You can delete the dump files.

4. Steve Campbell

I don't think the error you're getting has anything to do with the files you're trying to delete. I think that while you're trying to use that function, Windows is encountering an error and is dumping your RAM memory cache.

These errors happen for all kinds of different reasons and they seem to happen a lot in Windows Vista in particular. If it isn't letting you delete your temporary files you can try navigating to the folder and deleting them manually, using a third party program to clean up your PC, or try running the scan again in safe mode.