How can I disable Shutdown in User Accounts (Win 7)

Imran February 4, 2010

On my Windows 7 Ultimate PC, I use two account 1st is an administrative account which is password protected which I use mostly and other is guest account which is mostly used by my sibling or friends.

I always do Hibernate on my system with some application still running like iTunes, Firefox, Notepad etc; The problem is that when my PC is access through guest account by someone, who don’t have the habit of doing hibernate or sleep and usually they shutdown the system result in loss of some unsaved work and settings. So, I want a tweak to restrict shutdown/restart through user/guest account.

Is there any way?
Kindly Help me.

1. Mohd4ism

u r great

2. FDias

bmac1996acc, you are the man!!!
    Took me a while to get there, but now it's working like a charm!

Thanks for the feedback FDias!

3. bmac1996acc

To edit Multiple Local Group Policy

Open Microsoft Management Console (type mmc.exe in the search bar).

Click File and then click Add/Remove Snap-in.

Click Group Policy Object Editor in the Available Snap-ins list and click Add.

Click the Browse button in the Select Group Policy Object dialog box.

Click the Users tab in the Browse for the Group Policy Object dialog box.

Click "Non-Administrators"
    Click OK, click Finish, and then click OK.

Then under the newly created Non-Administrator policy, go to User Configuration-->Administrative Templates -->Start Menu and Taskbar -->"Remove and prevent access to the shutdown, restart, sleep, and hibernate commands". Enable

Done

This way will allow administrators to perform all functions will non-administrators will only be able to log off. The method listed by Aibek also removes the option for administrators to shutdown, restart, sleep, and hibernate

• McBUser

that's awesome.  i've been wanting to know how to do that for a while. how did you know that?

P.S. This won't work on Windows 7 Home and Starter editorions

Doable,

1. Start -> type in gpedit.msc -> hit Enter.
    2. You should be taken to 'Local Group Policy Editor'
    3. Go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar
    4. Double click on 'Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands'.
    5. Set the option to 'Enabled'
    6. Done!