Why can I not disable the network connection on a Windows XP computer?

Mao Piseth July 21, 2010

I don’t know why I can’t disable the network connection of a PC with Windows XP Sp3 installed. It says something like “unable to disable at this time…..”

What type of network connection is it? Wireless, Lan, Firewire 1394, Bridge etc? Have you tried physically disconnecting if it is ethernet (LAN)?

• Pisethinfo

What do you mean by physical? Do you mean unplug it?

2. Marco Asifante

Hi,
    you can stop the service linked to network connection.
    Use Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services and stop the Wireless Zero Config for Wireless Connection and/or Network Connection. Stopping Services disables Windows from using this features.
    Hope that helps. I know it's a tricky way but if Disable doesn't work, you should do like this.

Pisethinfo,

Did the above tip that Marco shared help you? Let us know.

Aibek

• Pisethinfo

Sorry all for late reply cuz I am just back to office. No, Aibek. It does not work this way. There are two ways that work but useless. It is to either unplug the cable or disable driver. However, what is the use of doing that? We only want to disable for some reason (temporarily). Anyway, thank for all your health!

Try making sure whether your account is an Administrator Account or a Limited User. A limited user may not have those privileges.

• Pisethinfo

Yes, I have the privilege to do so. I always did this before with my old laptop but I can't solve this problem for my friend.

4. Ryan Dube

Is this behavior after you right click on the network connection and select Disable? I've heard that SP2 for XP has an auto disable feature that will toggle (disable/enable) to auto-fix network problems. Since you have SP3 that would be included, but shouldn't interfere with your ability to disable. What type of network is it? It won't work for dial-up, but I think it's safe to assume you're not referring to a dial-up network?

• Pisethinfo

It is not a dial-up one. Of course whether right click or go to network panel and click disable, neither won't work. Any further idea?