How do I disable the mouse wheel?

Divit Dsouza August 19, 2012

My mouse wheel seems to be broken. It keeps scrolling pages and drop down menus by itself and it is very irritating.

While I had Windows XP, there was an option in the mouse settings to disable scrolling with the wheel, but I have not found a similar option in Windows 7. I tried searching the internet but I couldn’t find an answer.

So is there a way to disable scrolling with the mouse wheel?

1. rama moorthy

Change your mouse .. will cost just 3$ .

• Freecycle Me

I'd agree and if a wheel is still irritating, get an old 2 button mouse :)

2. Ben Mordecai

Computer mice are very cheap. Buy another one. It's not worth the effort.

Hello, what brand is the mouse? Is is for example like a logitech? Or just generic. If it is something like a logitech, you might want to check under the settings for that program. Just make sure to select do nothing as an option or something similar.

If you do not mind using a third party software to accomplish what you want, you could try the following software:

http://neosmart.net/TweakUI/

Look under the mouse settings and there should be an option there to disable scroll wheel. Keep in mind the link will take you to the 64 bit edition. That is the version you typed under system. If your system is not 64 bits, you would have to download the regular program. Hope it helps

4. fizzbin88

I'm interested to know WHY you would want to do this ?!?!?

• ReĆ½ Aetar

sometimes the pages scroll and other functions associated with the scroll er happens automatic and there is no way to stop it and its a disaster while playing games :p ...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "WheelScrollLines"="0"

Paste the entire contents of the above code box into Notepad, goto File > Save As... > Change Save as type: to All Files, Name it NoScroll.reg and save it to somewhere convenient in your Documents folder.
    Double click on the reg file and allow it to merge, then log off/log on.
    Note: If you go to Control Panel and open Mouse settings, the scroll will be reset to the default of 3 lines
    Alternatively open regedit and navigate your way to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop look in the right hand pane for WheelScrollLines.
    Double click on it and change the value to 0.
    OK your way out of the registry and log off then back on again.