How can I disable my laptop’s keyboard and touchpad?

anhdroid September 10, 2012

I got a HP Pavillion dv2700 PC from my friend with a not-so-functional keyboard and touchpad (some keys work while other do not, and the touchpad is really not responsive). I intend to use itas my secondary laptop so I got an external keyboard and mouse. The problem is to save space, I put the external keyboard on top of the laptop keyboard, and as such sometimes the keys from the laptop keyboard and the touchpad are activated. It is really irritating. I want to know whether I could disable the laptop keyboard and touchpad entirely and just use the external ones? Thanks a lot!

1. J Abello

Permanently disabling your keyboard/touchpad? Its not sensible to open your laptop just to disable the function. Most laptops, either device manager or the function key should take care of it. My work holds that admin rights so I can't change the device manager settings. A very low tech means would be to use a notepad/manila folder/etc if the previous options aren' t available.

2. McFire

Best Solution I found was to simply close the lid of the laptop - go to power options/ Chose what closing the lid does and select do nothing. That is all :) now my 10 months daughter can no longer mess with keyboard, touch pad or press the shiny power button and shut it down. Hope that helps.

3. Ahmed Musani

press windows key + X and select device manager. go to mouse click on it and disable it and then go to keyboard and disable it.

4. Perry Como

A mysterious message coming from nowhere...

5. Aniket Singh

I dont think you will be able to disable the laptop keyboard as this is the default device. You can disable the touchpad by clicking on start, control panel, mouse, wait for the Dell Touchpad image to come up, and click on the image, you should have an option to disable the touchpad under pointing devices.

6. EL

Don't forget that if you disable your laptop's keyboard and mouse, and then the batteries die on your other set, you'll be stuck!

7. anhdroid

Thanks for all the suggestions!

8. Curtis C.

http://tpp.desofto.com/
    Software that helps you disable and enable your touchpad.

• Curtis C.

only works when you are typing

9. Kao Vang

From an ergonomical point of view, this is bad. :)

10. John

I will

11. Wayne R

why not use a piece of carboard to eliminate the :punch through of our external keyboard. you could also find a small cutting board that will fit over yout current keyboard and keep the top solid, try that

12. Ivan Vucic

fn+F7 to quick disable touchpad and if you wish to disable your default keyboard u can do that in bios when starting the computer by using f2 or f8 depends on computer or in windows just type keyboard in startmenu it will show you keboard in device manager and just disable it.

13. Ahmed Khalil

The easiest way to disable a touchpad depends on the hardware. The good news is that manufacturers of modern laptops have tried to address the issue up front. On some notebooks, you'll find a physical switch to disable and enable the touchpad; look around the laptop's edge for it. The PC might also offer a keyboard shortcut (such as pressing Fn and F7 simultaneously) to disable the touchpad, or perhaps pressing a certain area of the touchpad itself will turn it off. Check your laptop's documentation for specific methods.

you will need to remove/disconnect the keyboard cable from the motherboard to disable the keyboard.

for details see the following link

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241048/how_to_disable_your_laptop_touchpad.html

14. Joel Alar

If you want to permanently disable your keypad and touch pad, you need to disconnect the physical connection of it by opening your laptop. Usually the keypad and touchpad was connected through a flat wire/ribbon wire.

• Ahmed Khalil

this solution can be the best on for hardware disable, and for software disable follow below post

15. Patrick Jackson

I have a question to ask.

WHY?

Not 'yelling', but curious!

16. Shakirah Faleh Lai

Press Fn+F7 simultenously but not all laptop offer this keyboard shortcut. You can also look for Touchpad icon in notification area and double click the icon to disable your touchpad.

17. Shakirah Faleh Lai

Press Fn+F7 simultenously but not all laptop offer this keyboard shortcut. You can look for Touchpad icon in notification area and double click the icon to disable your touchpad.

18. Erlis Dhima

1. Go to start
    2. In the search box write: Device Manager
    3. Open it, and under Keyboards, find the keyboard you want to disable
    Make sure you have connected the other keyboard you want to use... (If the disable button doesn't appear, then uninstall it!)

The same process goes for the touchpad! (Under mouse disable the laptop mouse (keyboard) )

• Usman Mubashir

Best answer

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks! :)

• Nicky Angel

go for it

• Jawed Manzoor

exactly...

• anhdroid

I tried this but it didn't work... But anyway thanks for the tip. May come handy in the future :-)

• Erlis Dhima

I'm sorry! Anyway , keep it in mind, since it could really help in any other similar case!

• Ahmed Khalil

I belive this way will work may be you do some thing not correct, try it again following the setps exactly