How do I disable group policies in Windows 7?

Don Blevens May 11, 2012

I installed Windows Tweaker 4.0 and now I can no longer change my Windows 7 settings, e.g. icon notifications. It says my admin changed the group policies so I can no longer do this. I AM the admin, this is a home PC.

I see a ‘Group Policy Client’ running on my PC but can not disable it. I have Windows 7 Home so I do not have the Group Policy Manager on my PC. Does anybody know how to undo this so I can control my PC again?

I even did a restore to before installing Windows Tweaker but it didn’t help. Windows Tweaker is gone but the ‘policy’ is still in place.

1. Siddharth

hi there,
    I'm the developer of Windows Tweaker 4.0
    This issue was fixed 4-5 days ago, however, it took some time for all servers to update the copy of patched Windows Tweaker 4.0.
    You, can download the patched version of Windows Tweaker 4.0, from this link (the Notification area bug has now been resolved)

Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server

boot from your windows 7 disk and do a repair of the installation.

How to Disable the Group Policy Client Service
    "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\gpsrv" subkey in the registry.