How can I disable cache or shadowing from my Windows XP BIOS?
Question by subodh /

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged .
Windows Hacks & Customization
Windows Hacks & Customization
Windows_10
Windows_10
Android OS Tips
Android OS Tips
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets

• Darren

Hello I am having this problem and my error codes are:
     0X000000C2 0X00000040, 0X00000000, 0X80000000, 0X00000000

any help would be greatly appreciated – happens randomly but seems to be when I try to open a music or video files that trigger it to go blue screen and say the error code above with “Bad Pool Caller”

• Darren

I am running XP
      I have tried the following:
      checked all hardware
      nothing new added
      no new software
      repair with my disc
      booted into safe mode and ran antivirus and Malewarebytes
      tried stopping all software start up processes to to try an narrow down culprit
      updated all my windows updates – SP3, and flash just today
      everytime I try to open Itunes or open a video file – right to the blue screen

otherwise it runs great when working in other programs – word, photoshp etc…..

at my wits end – gonna try the ram test next  – just hoping its not my hard drive going out

thank you to anyone who may have a solution :)

Darren,

this comment thread is rather old. In case you do not receive an answer here, I recommend that you ask a new question.

Subodh,

are you able to enter the BIOS or do you know how?

The BIOS can be accessed during boot by clicking a specific key. Typically, the key is indicated by a message on startup, such as ‘Pres ESC to enter setup‘. The key could also be F1, F2, DEL, or F10. If you don’t know which one it is, try them all. Hit the key several times during bootup. When you see the Windows logo you know it didn’t work, try again.

Once in the BIOS you should find an option to enable or disable BIOS caching or BIOS shadowing. The option could be called ‘XXX is cachable. (Enable/Disable)‘. To tell you exactly where to find the respective option and what it is called, we would need to know your BIOS manufacturer and version.

Why are you asking this question? Do you get an error message that asks you to disable it? If you do, you might want to replace your CMOS battery.

• subodh

firstly thank for fast reply,
      I want to disable cache and shadowing because my pc appears blue screen and says remove any new hardware install or disable cache or shadowing.

Ok. Well, I assume you didn’t install any new hardware, so you’re asking about BIOS caching or shadowing. 

Can you please share the exact error code of your blue screen?

• subodh

I forgot what type error that was, but currently my pc working well. If it happens secondly I will note that error and then I will share that. Thanks for reply.