How do you disable auto complete in Facebook search box?
Question by Henry Tye /

When you are in Facebook, how do you disable the type ahead or auto complete when you type something in the search box, the one you search people in?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged .
Awesome Webs & Tips
Awesome Webs & Tips
Stay Incognito On The Web
Stay Incognito On The Web
Deep Web Communities
Deep Web Communities
WhatsApp Tips
WhatsApp Tips
Facebook Q&A
Facebook Q&A
Online Security Tips
Online Security Tips
Music Apps & Sites
Music Apps & Sites
Tips for Privacy Obsessed
Tips for Privacy Obsessed

• Carlie

How do i delete autocomplete on FB sign in (email and password! I tried highlighting and arrowing over email, then hit delete button. It didnt wk. Tried 10 times!!! HELP!!!

When you login for the first time,you might had allowed your browser to remember the password.You can reset this behavior by -

while you go to clear your browser history,cache and cookies,also tick on save passwords.In the settings menu of your browser,uncheck ask for saving passwords.

This answer could have been more specific if you had provided the browser you use to access Facebook.

Also,you might need to remove Facebook credentials from the password manager(eg:- Lastpass) you might be using.

• Rishabh Sharma

Delete cookies and history

• Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

I think that you can't disable that feature, I know when you type for example '' facebook '' it will directly shows facebook official page in below, but to avoid searching for that click on the '' See More Results For '' ....your word..... '' . thus you can avoid opening the auto pages that come.

• mindianajones

Hi Henry. There's no way to do it through Facebook, but depending on why you want to disable it, I might be able to think of some workarounds.

Right now, when you type a search term and hit 'Enter', Facebook doesn't send you to a search results page. Instead, it sends you to whichever page or profile was at the top of that search autocomplete drop-down box. Do you want to change it so that hitting 'Enter' takes you directly to the search results page? Or is there another issue you're trying to resolve?

If you could answer the question above and also let me know which browser you use, I'll see what I can come up with :-)

• Joses Lemmuela

As far as I know, it is not possible to do so, since Facebook doesn't make it customizeable. If you're lucky enough, though, someone might make the add-on browser for that that modifies the script of the site. But I still don't see the benefit in disabling it, if you want a manual search, just click the magnifying glass button, don't press enter.

• GEORGE SABA

MY ACCOUNT ASK SECURITY QUASTIN

• ferdinan Sitohang

No you cannot, since it is not a feature which you can customize in your account or privacy setting. It is already bundling with the facebook application.

• 1hegame

If you're talking about FB's suggestions then you can't disable it. It's a FB's feature. If you're talking about anything getting autocompleted within box itself then its with your browser and not FB. Delete all your history or whatever your browser provides you to delete that 'saved data for autofullings.'