Why is Dirt3 running at such low FPS?

Ron Khan September 1, 2012

Hello all!
I am here to ask you a question that has been bugging me for a long time.
I downloaded Dirt 3 but however, the frames per second and response is really slow (same goes for NFS Shift 1).
Any help?

-System Info-
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
HP Pavillion s5388d
X86-based PC
Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz 2 Cores 4 Logical Processors
ATI Radeon 4350 HD

1. gamermad121

hi i need help i bought dirt 3 for pc and it is so slow
    i run on windows7,vision

2. Dalsan

You could also try using IOBit Game Booster, Tweaking.com Simple Performance Boost or Advanced System Tweaker, and turn off some of Windows features like Aero Peek and theme styles to boost some performance. This might help some, but purchasing a better video card and adding more memory would get you the best performance possible for games.

3. steven ...

What settings are you running at?
    Try to run at lower resolution, turn off shadow and turn off anti aliasing

Your video card is not exactly the best for gaming; it is more suited for HTPC applications. It has a 600MHz core clock and 500MHz memory clock driving DDR2 RAM. If you want a better frame rate with this card, you will need to lower its workload by reducing the resolution or dropping texturing settings and other advanced features. Or you could upgrade to a better card with DDR5 RAM, better GPU (faster clock, more cores), and possibly more video RAM (you didn't specify what you've got there 256, 512, or 1024). You also didn't specify system RAM either, but I'm assuming you have at least 4GB, so you should be good. This is also assuming a 64-bit version of Windows.

• Ron

Yeah it is 4GB. Actually, ATI gave me the option to increase my GPU clock settings. And its 512 MB. Lastly, its 32 bit. SO, if i increase my GPU will it play better?

You can increase your GPU's clock speed to get fast response but FPS will get limited upon screen resolution and bus size.So,for better gaming performance,consider AMD's 7000 series GPU.

• Kannon Y

Bruce and Susendeep weren't kidding about Radeon 4350's limitations. It will play most modern games on the lower/lowest settings. For the most part, it's used to get HDMI on older HTPC motherboards, which is what Bruce implied.

Unless I'm mistaken, the HD 3000 integrated GPU on Sandy Bridge Core i5 processors is actually more powerful than the 4350 (I'm not sure if the 650 series has integrated GPU - it might). If I understand the technology correctly, when you use an external GPU, it disables the on board integrated graphics, rather than chaining them together. Thus, you might get better graphics by removing the GPU.

As indicated in the link above, some integrated GPUs actually work in tandem with external graphics processors - like if you combined AMD Fusion CPUs with closely matched external graphics processors. But to my knowledge, Intel does not offer this technology.

I suggest reading this thread at Tom's Hardware regarding the most efficient gaming CPU for your system. My suggestion is to go with Radeon 6670 - for about $60-70 you can get a fairly good gaming GPU. Another option, if you have a lot of money floating around, is the Radeon 6850, which is dollar per processing power the best GPU on the market.

• Ron

I will see to your ideas! Thanks for all your help!