Should I use Diigo or Xmarks for syncing bookmarks, what are the differences?

eltioska June 9, 2010

Seems I’m a bit late in the day, but so far I’ve kept out of the cycle of bookmark syncing and stuff. Now I suddenly find myself changing computers and browsers and I find the need for bookmark syncing. Which brings me to the question:

I’m in two minds between using Diigo and Xmarks. What’s the difference between them? If I understood correctly, Diigo is more of an online bookmarks-with-notes thing while Xmarks is more of a syncing service?

Second: are the toolbars strictly necessary? I kinda hate toolbars of any kind – I even have the taskbar hidden and avoid it like the plague.

P.S.: For the sake of completeness, I read these here on MakeUseOf. They’re somewhat related and, together with replies to this question, might provide a more complete picture for any future reader:

7 Reasons Diigo Tastes Better Than Delicious 7 Reasons Diigo Tastes Better Than Delicious 7 Reasons Diigo Tastes Better Than Delicious Read More

Syncing Bookmarks Between Firefox and Chrome?

How can I transfer my Firefox add-ons to a new computer?

Peace and harmony,
ska

1. Jgabriel

where can i talk to Googles to ask them about that , please tell me 

2. Jgabriel

we need One toolbar to do all of this PLeaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  and one account 

3. Jgabriel

i have problem , why google not make xmark part of menu on the left side of diigo 
    cause i am really need xmark to syn my bookmarks and export it to html if i need to import bookmarks to my chrome browser and also need diigo to create notes save pages make red circle arrows and write with green color of webpage and save it , also why not include awesome screen shot in it  
    why all of three of them not included in one account and one toolbar very simple to use over any browser type like ie , mozilla fox and chrome and opera 
    it is very important , it will save time of use to do everything in one click 
    i have headache , to sync with xmark , write notes with diigo ..........take screen shot with awesome screen shot   , i think needs to be Organized than this 

Gabriel,

I recommend posting a new question here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/ask/

4. Azndoodle

I would like to use both but Diigo is blocked from my workplace.  How can I sync Diigo with Xmarks??  Any ideas or work arounds?

Az,

it is unlikely that someone who knows an answer will see your question here. Thus I recommend you to ask a new question. Thanks!

5. el tio ska

Half a year later, I came back to this question, with an update. Started like this:

Installed Xmarks to sync bookmarks between browsers.

Started using Diigo. Eventually I became so used to using Diigo that I found that I was no longer even thinking about the bookmarks in my browser. So recently, I exported everything from Xmarks, imported to Diigo and deleted Xmarks. Browser's faster too :o)

thanks for the input!

• el tio ska

@Aibek: Just a curiousity, do you still use Xmarks? :o)

I do actually :-)

I use XMarks and love it. Doesn't require toolbar for syncing.

7. MacInt

You don't even need the icon for xmarks, it has a item in the tool's list. or you can put it i the status bar.

8. Jessica Cam W.

Yes, you got the differences right so Xmarks does the job if you want to sync bookmarks (unless you're using Google Chrome which comes with built-in bookmark sync features). You could also bookmark with Xmarks (without notes) by adding a site to your browser's bookmarks/Favorites. If you use Diigo to save your bookmarks, you can access your bookmarks from any computer with an Internet connection, so it's kind of like syncing. Bookmarks just would not be integrated with the browser, so it's up to you if you want to have them show up in your browser's bookmark toolbar (for which Xmarks would work) or if you want to access them in a website (Diigo would be good for this).For Diigo, you don't need to have the toolbar. The diigolet (bookmarklet available at http://www.diigo.com/tools/diigolet) lets you highlight stuff in websites and add notes like the toolbar, but it doesn't have extra features such as bookmarks search, marking items as unread, etc. As for Xmarks, it doesn't install a toolbar. It just shows up as an icon in the address bar area.

• el tio ska

Cheers :o)

I think I'll use both:

Xmarks for the "habitual" bookmarks and Diigo for pages that I save for "notes" and reference.

For the latter Diigo's notes function seems excellent, while for the others simply having the links should be enough and Xmarks providing the capability of integrating them directly into the browser seems nice, especially as I suppose I could add this on a portable app (am I right on this one?)

(Check out my chromified FF here.
      It's obvious I don't like toolbars hehe. A bookmarklet won't take too much screen real estate!)

The fact that there's a bookmarklet which can do away with the toolbar is awesome :o))

With regards to Chrome's sync function:
      1. it doesn't look like it offers much
      2. seems that it will only sync chrome
      3. and seems that using more than one Google account would create confusion!