How can I digitize 35mm celluloid family films?

Simon December 29, 2010

I have family films on 35mm celluloid. I want PC cuddly files. ‘Ow the bleedin’ ‘ell do i get to do it? Ive been trying for months (in an admittedly fairly desultory fashion) and am as far forward as when I started. I am in Wales, and don’t want to send the preciouses to the great abroad, but will, of course, consider Scotland/NI, even England etc.

1. Digitizing services

I already bought a used USB cable converter that can link the VHS
    recorder with the PC. But as it’s used, I only found the driver, but
    have no real software which I can use to capture and turn the VHS
    streams into some format like avi, or mpeg. Can you recommend a freeware
    doing that? Thanks.

2. Dave Drager

Do you mean movies or slides? Movies are considerably more complicated and therefore more costly to transfer to digital. With slides you can convert them with a backlit scanner, they are under $70 or so now.

For movies you would need to do it professionally. I did a quick search and came up with a list here:

http://www.entertainmentinwales.com/videoconversionservices001.htm

Call those places and check to see if they support your format. Good luck!

3. Nullop

I assume by 35mm celluloid you mean what we call "slides" here in the states. So, you can buy a product called ShotCopy which will hold the slide properly while you photograph it with your digicam. Or you could buy a slide copier like those marketed by Pacific Image and others. Or you could cobble a copier together and tweak it till it works. Good luck!