What is the difference between PHP redirect and domain forwarding?

Shawn Moore September 26, 2012

After multiple attempts to get an ad approved with the folks down at Facebook, it was suggested that… “you might want to put it in a PHP redirect first Shawn”.

I tried forwarding of my domain, actually with two different domains, with no luck. Is PHP redirect the same thing? Or is it a different process than forwarding?

Thanks!

1. Mohit Agrawal

Domain Forwarding option will forward you to specific domain but PHP redirect will lead you to any one file.

Say you want to forward your domain "abc.com" to "xyz.com", it will automatically forward it to xyz.com whenever abc.com is browsed. but in case of PHP redirect option, you need to write the code in specific file or every file to redirect to go xyz.com

2. Rob Hindle

The technical difference is: domain forwarding will (probably) be done by pointing the domain name at the nameservers for the target domain. With a PHP redirect you'll have a single "web page" called index.php at the domain you intend to redirect. That will contain one line which is an instruction to change location to the target domain.

I guess facebook is blocking your link to site1.com but site2.com is OK so if site2.com had that PHP redirect to site1.com you MIGHT trick them.

Goes a bit beyond that, you need not use index.php you could call it something else like redirect.php so when you go to site2.com/redirect.php you end up at site1.com/any-page-name-you-choose.html

You may be able to achieve the same effect with an htaccess file.

3. bonioloff

I am not really sure, but i think Google like the domain forwarding more.
    In wordpress you can do it easily with plugin i think.