Why is there a difference in download speeds on similar devices?

Wouter R January 9, 2014

Me and a friend of mine both did a speedtest on the same carrier on the same location at about the same time.
He was using a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I was using a Nexus 4.
He got about double the speed I did, but I got about the same speed as a Galaxy S2 of another friend on the same network.
How is this possible, the only reason I can think of is the S4 had DC-HSDPA, but my phone should support that as well.
Any Ideas?

Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB vs LG Nexus 4
    http://versus.com/en/samsung-galaxy-s4-16gb-vs-lg-nexus-4
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    1) Distinctly faster downloads 100 MBits/s vs 42 MBits/s (2.38x faster downloads)
    2) Considerably faster uploads 50 MBits/s vs 5.76 MBits/s (8.68x faster uploads)

• Wouter R

Those speeds for the S4 are for an LTE-network, the S4 was connected to a UMTS network so that can't be the reason.

2. kihara

That kind of comparison almost always gives you different results. There are several other issues you may not have considered such as the apps running on each device which could potentially slow one device down.