What is the difference between Cloud storage and what Tonido offer?

Maxi3w August 5, 2012

I’m confused about Tonido. I have read the article, but I still don’t understand it.

With Cloud I know that if my Computer breaks down, then I can still get access to my uploads from a new PC or someone else’s, without losing anything. But with Tonido, would my uploaded files, photo’s etc still be accessible should my computer break down?

Any straightforward advice appreciated!

1. syed Muhammad Ali naqvi shah

The key issue with Public cloud storage service is lack of control The authentication happens directly between your browser and the Tonido device Tonido offers advanced security controls like IP filters that allows you to.

2. Maxi3w

Thank You Suman, Daniel & Oron!! I thought it was a different kind of service. Thanks ever so much for resolving this for me! Much appreciated :-)

3. Oron

No, Tonido is not meant as a backup, but as a way of making your material available elsewhere on the internet. In fact, I don't think there's anything "cloudy" about it at all. It's just a method of publishing and streaming files.

4. Daniel Pettinger

You store the files locally on your computer, and allow remote access to that computer in order to access the files from somewhere else (remotely).

So if the computer storing the files breaks down, then you can't connect to that computer remotely, thus no file access. Also, you'd have the keep that computer running non-stop if you want 24/7 access remotely, which can be expensive when you consider electricity.

Cloud, you'll only lose access if their servers go down, and they usually have multiple back-up servers with the same files backed-up for you.

5. Suman Acharya

i don't think you can access files if your system crashes (it is what i understood - sorry if i'm wrong - looking forward to others)