What is the difference between BitTorrent an Utorrent?

Achraf Almouloudi August 9, 2012

Is there any difference in Bittorrent and Utorrent and is it worth buying the first one if you have the second one or, is it worth upgrading at all?

1. dave

buy BitTorrent or Utorrent?
    THEY ARE FREE.

2. James Beam

Utorrent is basically the lightest bittorrent client around. It is fast and streamlined and has everything you need and nothing you don't. I highly recommend it.

Keep in mind that if you want to use bittorrent safely you should ALWAYS subscribe to an anonymous VPN service that gives you a secure, untraceable internet connection. You can find a list of the best ones at The Best VPN Guide

Torrent Safe!

The difference between the two is that BitTorrent bundles an Ask toolbar whereas uTorrent ask user's permissions for downloading and installing it and hence its setup file is also smaller than BitTorrent.Other than that there is virtually no difference between the two and hence not worth upgrading or paying for BitTorrent.

• Achraf Almouloudi

Exactly, so I could just stick with Utorrent free as it seems the extra security they claim is on my antivirus program .

• V3T

Both Bittorrent and uTorrent are from the same company. If you look at the bottom of both pages, they are the same base company, Bittorrent, Inc. The apps on the Google Play Store are also from the same company, even though they have different names. I am still trying to figure out if the Ask bar is the only difference, feature wise.

4. Daniel Escasa

I believe there's some confusion. BitTorrent is a protocol, and uTorrent is one of those software applications that implement the protocol. As another example of a protocol and a software application that implements it: HyperText Transport (sometimes, Transfer) Protocol, or HTTP, the protocol that serves and displays Web pages. Your browser -- Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or IE -- would be the software app that implements HTTP.

There's also a "server" side to HTTP, but this should do :)

No, BitTorrent is also an official client. http://www.bittorrent.com/

• Achraf Almouloudi

Like James said Bittorrent that I refer to is that client .

Achraf, I would stay away from the bittorrent client, never heard anything good about it. uTorrent is universally accepted as the best. If I remember right, bittorrent was actually sued a few years back and had to change something, like offer legal torrents? I wouldnt trust the client, to be honest.

• Steven

@James
          Lol.. your answer is funny since both clients are exactly the same; only the icons and colors are a little different and you've got advertisements in utorrent (which is the only reason I prefer Bittorrent). Both clients are made by the bittorrent design team and owned by the same company as well: Bittorrent Inc.

5. Andres Garcia

And its best if you stay the same, Second one adds some unused features features

6. Andres Garcia

There Is no difference, Utorrent Is a Client for downloading BitTorrents.

If you would like a different BitTorrent Client, Google it

• Achraf Almouloudi

Actually both of them are Torrent clients, but I'm looking for advice on which is better or if they are the same (in functionality) also whether it worth it to upgrade at all or just a free version .