Did I damage my Core2 Duo processor?

Andre C August 24, 2013

I have taken ownership of a Core2 Duo processor and wanted to test it on a Dell Optiplex 280gx that is also socket 775 but obviously doesn’t support Core2 Duo but went ahead anyway.  After installing it, I powered up the Dell but nothing happened.  Now what i would like to know is if you think I might have done damage to the Core2 Duo chip.  I haven’t got the right motherboard yet to see but I’m now scared to go buy a motherboard and find that the chip doesn’t work anymore because i don’t have lot of money to waste.  Please, any info will help.

There is always that chance, but most likely the motherboard did not recognize the CPU and did not POST (power on system test). Only way is to test it, with through a mom and pop computer repair shop or buying a compatible motherboard (which should be rather cheap).

2. Matt Smith

When you say the Optiplex didn't support the processor, I assume you mean the BIOS, not the physical motherboard socket. So no, the system would not boot in that case, but it doesn't cause any damage either.

If you somehow stuffed the processor in a socket it's not meant for then yea, that was probably not so good for its health.

3. Jim C

Any MB you buy for such an old processor will probably be used or refurbished as will be RAM. Should be cheap.

Normally cpu have security protection, now if you really insisted and took extra actions and cpu got extra hot then it is possible that the cpu is damaged. If you buy a new motherboard check that it can support several cpu generations. Also you should get message when try to boot Warning this motherboard doesnt support xxW cpu