How can I dial a phone number from Outlook?

Jeff Rhind April 13, 2011

Is there a way through an internet service that would allow one to click on a phone number in Outlook, dial that phone number and connect the call through a phone number you selected all without using a modem?

1. Ben

IĀ used to be able to do this via the old modem jack on the side of my laptop. New laptop doesn't have the modem jack connection now so can't do it.
    Used to click on a contacts number, if would dial then just lft receiver of my home phone. Worked very nicely.

2. Jeff

I guess I should've added the requirement that it be free. I was hoping that I could click on a contact and a service rings my office phone once it has finished dialing and connects me to the contact that I clicked.

• jhpot

The closest thing to getting this for free is Google Voice, but I'm afraid there's no way to make it work in one click from Outlook right now. From your browser, sure, but not from Outlook.

In fact, considering how increasingly old-fashioned Outlook is perceived to be by developers, I'd be surprised if this is ever integrated into Outlook.

You could try using Cisco Click-To-Call - it integrates with Outlook and other applications. Once installed, you just need to set the username/password and CUCM server, and assuming there's only one phone associated with the user, it doesn't need further configuration

How do I dial an Outlook contact on Skype