Can you help me diagnose internet issues after removing bloatware?

Michael Maulbeck October 5, 2010

My parents called me earlier this week to ask me why Chrome/Firefox could not access the internet. I found out that Internet Explorer could so I told them to use that. The next day they called and complained about how slow IE was. So I figured I’d get them the IE9 beta. Now that cannot access the internet either.

I have tried reinstalling Chrome. Also, most other programs can not access the internet. I tried turning off their firewall and adding these programs to the exceptions list. This problem started right after I removed about 150 GB of crap files and programs from their Windows Vista PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I redownloaded IE8 and that still works. So its all good. Well it's as good as my parents craPC will ever be.

:-)

2. Ryan

I've also found that sometimes if you go into IE7/8/9 and reset it to defaults it will then connect to the Internet. Chrome and Firefox seem to use IE's internet settings so if IE doesn't work, then it might screw up Chrome/Firefox as well.

Also it is likely spyware/malware/viruses have taken over your computer. The network is slow because its using your computer to spread more spyware/malware/viruses.

I would suggest using these programs to try and get rid of the infection.
    (You can download most of them from http://www.filehippo.com, my choice for downloads.)

CCleaner- its like disc clean up but removes more junk which helps lesson scan times

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware- Gets rid of some of the worst malware and spyware

SUPERAntispyware- Another great spyware remover, gets rid of nasty stuff and works great in tandum with Mawarebytes anti-malware.

AVG Anti-virus- Install this if you have no anti-virus installed or yours is expired (make sure you remove any other anti-virus before installing this one)

If these programs fail to install its because the spyware/malware/viruses are preventing them from installing. Rename the installation executable to "explorer.exe" which will usually trick the spyware/malware/viruses and allow them to run.

Also, if they are installed but are not running, rename the file once again to something else, it can be explorer.exe again, but just remember to rename that executable that is located in the folder where the program is actually installed, not just to the shortcut on your desktop.

Update all the software. Run CCleaner first to get rid of any unessasry files, and then run full scans of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-spyware and delete anything it finds.

If this doesn't help you might need to run the programs in safemode by restarting the computer and hitting the F8 key until a black screen with white text shows. Select safemode and hit enter. Run each scan again in safemode.

If this still doesn't work google "combofix", install and run it as a last ditch effort.

Hi
    Try to restore the pc to an earlier state when everything was OK. Use windows restore center.

Other that reset tcp/ip

To repair and reset the Windows Vista

1.Click on Start button.
    2.Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    3.Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    4.Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    5.Restart the computer

To check which LSPs installed on your Vista system, use netsh winsock show catalog command.

I know, I considered restoring it, but I did literally hours of work on their computer...

I would suggest trying restore option as well. Considering that you nuked over 150 GB of data chances are you might have deleted some files that shouldn't be deleted.