Does a DH61WW motherboard support a DDR5 graphics card?

Osama Javaid January 20, 2012

I have an Intel DH61WW motherboard with Core I3-2100 3.10 GHz processor and 4GB DDR3 RAM. If I want to upgrade my graphics card from DDR3 (currently GT430 2GB) to a GTX series DDR5 card, does DH61WW support it or not?

1. jomesh

I have three Intel DH61WW Motherboards with i3-2100. I faced freezing problem on all three mobos for last one year. And each mobos are replaced lots of times from Intel RMA(Digicare) and all mobos show same problem. I waste my lots of time for it.

In my experience the DH61WW may not ahead a period of six month, if use at least 8 hours per day.

I feel DH61WW/H61 chipset has a bug. So no one purchase a H61 chipset motherboards as blind. Coz Intel may continue this dirt chipset for there new 22nm Ivy Bridge processor.

Jomesh

2. Saad

Yes it does, Graphics memory and ram is very different. In any case rest assured the graphics card will work as it has a PCX 2.0*16 slot. I have the same MB and have paired a His hd 6750 Ddr5 card with it.

3. Naughtygirlsmenace_16

Hi i have the same MOTHERBOARD as yours (DH61WW) and i haven't updated my BIOS yet. What is your BIOS VERSION and do you suggest to update my BIOS ? 

4. arnold

@osama89:disqus  Hi! I have the same set-up as you have and i tried to use the gt 520 2GB but the system is restarting from time to time.  May i know what power supply are you using with the GT430 2GB? could this be a power supply insufficiency? Pls help

• Osama

I am using a local made power supply, 650 watts are written on the box but it only cost me around $17 so it is some cheap stuff, u better go with cooler master or corsair brand

• Arnoldd

Thanks! I think i will change the power supply again to 650 or 700W and see from there... Probably cheaper PSU doesnt give the exact power as reflected on the box... Thanks for your help

Arnold

• Arnoldd

@osama
          After installing the gt520, did unstill have to do some changes in the bios setting?

• Osama

I don't know about it , u should ask a new question for it

5. Osama

and how much power are you talking about here?

Hello, with the configuration you have at the moment your system is using around 280 Watts.  Let's say that you use the GTX 460, your power supply would need at least 386 Watts.  If you use the GTX 590, power supply would need 583 Watts.

your grahic card will have more memory, motherboard use its own memory and not graphic card memory.

Since your question seems to be centered on the "DDR generation" I want to add that the dedicated memory of the graphics card is unrelated to the supported memory of your motherboard.

The graphics card has it's own memory controller for the GDDR and therefor is a self-contained unit.

As FIDELIS pointed out the important thing is that the interface (PCI-E) is available and the power supply sufficient enough.

Also (for now) PCI-Express is version independent. They only differ in the available data bandwidth.
    You can run a PCI-E 1.0 graphics card in a PCI-E 2.0 slot. 
    You can run a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card in a PCI-E 1.0 slot.

Hello, the following link will show you the specs for your motherboard:

http://ark.intel.com/products/54876/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH61WW#specifications

Yes, it should be able to handle that card.   The GTX series uses a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.  The following is a link for graphics card specs:

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-460/specifications