How do the developers of Ubuntu decide which packages to include in their next release?

Reý Aetar May 12, 2012

I just wanted to know does any one even see those reviews in the software centre?

I saw in the reviews sections.
1) For more than 2 releases brasero is not working properly,users want k3b as default in ubuntu.
2) Users want vlc as default media player,
3) Users want empathy to go and pigdin to be the default im client.

So just eager to know who decides what to be the default packages included in the OS

1. gpvprasad

I am just a user. But I think in the way a business man thinks I will try less testing effort on existing packs, May be canonical also things the same way.

They want more on resolving issues rather putting dependencies on existing working tree.

K3b is from KDE so gnome needs libraries to run KDE
    and pigdin is not from gnome it's a third party application for gnome so they don't want to put effort in re packing with pigdin.

This is my understanding as per business plans by the companies I am working for.

2. Chris Hoffman

I believe this sort of thing is decided & discussed at the Ubuntu Developers Summit: http://uds.ubuntu.com/

You can actually participate remotely in it.

I'm no Ubuntu developer, but I do know a few things, so here's some more information:
    1) K3b is a KDE app and would pull in lots of KDE libraries. It wouldn't fit on the disc and would add a lot of bulk and additional software. Brasero uses GTK and fits into the default desktop (I don't burn discs so I'm not sure if Brasero is any good or not anymore.)

2) VLC can't be the default media player. If VLC was the default media player, they'd have to strip out support for most media formats (patent problems) and no one would want it. The nice thing about Totem, which users the Gstreamer backend, is that Ubuntu can ship the patent-free codecs and allow users to easily install the problematic codecs later. VLC's architecture doesn't allow this; it's all or nothing.

3) Empathy is more integrated, I suppose? I don't know -- I prefer and use Pidgin, too.

• Reý Aetar

ooho now i see and does the developers see the reviews that the users give in the store????

• Chris Hoffman

That may factor into it, but I'm not sure.

Reviews are helpful for other users browsing the Software Center, though.