Can you help me with a detail in a chat application I’m programming in PHP and Ajax?

BHARAT GUPTA September 8, 2012

I had thought of making a chat application in PHP & Ajax. For this I used a table ‘comments’ with the following fields: ‘from’, ‘to’, ‘time’ & ‘text’

Now say whenever user ‘A’ enters some text to send to user ‘B’, I am going to insert that in the table ‘comments’.

The question is: Does the script of user ‘B’ repeatedly need to check the database whether user ‘A’ has entered some text or not OR is it possible to notify user ‘B’ whenever some text is entered by user ‘A’

Please help me. Thank you!

1. Meeth Jain
  2. illegal3alien

The easiest way is to definitely poll the server. You can make a very small requests that sends the time of the last received message and the server will only respond if it has a new message since than. You can also change the rate at which the chat program polls the server based on how long it has been since it last successfully received a message.

Like mentioned, there are ways to get the server to tell the client when there is a new message, but most require custom setups you may not be able to use (depending on the type of hosting you're using)

• Bharat

thanks @illegal3alien. you explained it quite nicely. your suggestion to send the time of the last received message is a real good one, i will take a note of it

3. Andrew

This is a pretty decent explanation.
    stackoverflow.com/questions/8629083/automatic-notification-in-database-change-similar-with-facebook-friend-request

4. pulptunes

Yes, you can repeatedly poll the table to see if there are new messages. That would be the easiest approach. But a cleaner, more performant, and less resource intensive method (yet much more complicated) would be to use a persistent connection between your server and your chat clients. This is achieved through html5 technologies such as Websockets or Server-Sent-Events. There's a popular javascript library called Socket.io that allows you to abstract all of this. I recommend you visit html5rocks.com and socket.io for more information.

• Bharat

thanks @pulptunes i will surely give a look to this

anybody else with any diff idea, please post that idea here